Chapter 2 : Valkyrae - That's called foreshadowing

"Watch out, Poki!"

     Poki heeded my warning and dove left for the ball. Edison set it and Lily ran up and spiked it straight to the other team's ground.

     "Hey, Raaeee..." Sykkuno called. God, his voice was so annoying... and so sexy. "Bet you I can return one of your spikes."

     Oh, he's on. "Lily, set me up."

     Lily volleyed the ball right in front and above me and I jumped, hitting the ball just at the right time... and straight into Sykkuno's face.

     Uh-oh. "Sykkuno! Are you OK?" I rushed over to check on him, a strange surge of protectiveness washing over me.

     "Y-yeah, just a little dazed," he said, struggling to sit up.

     "You better not - Oof!" Corpse ran into me, sending me to the ground.

     The next thing I knew, I was on Sykkuno, straddling him.

     His face was even redder than the time he drank champagne. Mine wasn't any better. I jumped up, extremely embarrassed, and glared at Corpse, but he was getting berated by Poki.

     What? I don't get it. Ever since they'd arrived, they'd done nothing but argue with each other. I liked that Poki was standing up for me, but it made me wonder if they had some sort of ...  history together.

     (That's called foreshadowing.)

     "So then I left him and never saw him again. It was my 5th... or was it 6th fling?" Poki was regaling me with tales of her time at university as we paddled in the ocean. I couldn't resist laughing.

     Poki glanced almost wistfully at the shore before turning back to me. I glanced over but saw no one but Corpse and Sykkuno talking together.

     I tried not to think about Sykkuno again. That was really embarassing.

     "But enough about my boy trouble. What about you?"

     I blushed instinctively and glanced towards the shore. Bad idea. Poki had the eyes of a hawk and instantly divined my eye movement.

     "Oh my god. Do you like Corpse?" Poki sounded almost a little defensive.

     Glad that she didn't find out, I said, "Uh, no."

     Her face broke into a grin. Oh, no.

     "Ooooh, you like Sykkuno!"

     "Keep you voice down!" I shouted quickly.

     "I knew it! I bet you liked being on him-"

     "Stop it, Imane!" My face was as red as blood now, probably due to the, uh, blood rising to my face."

     "Oh, you must have not liked it, since you had those stupid clothes on-"

     "Um, Imane?" Finally! Janet was here. At least Poki wouldn't be as dirty-minded now.

     "Janet, tell Imane to stop being an idiot."

     "What'd she do?"

     "What do you mean? You HEARD her!"

     "I know, but isn't it the truth?"

     Sometimes I hated my two best friends.

_____________________________________________

I'M SO SORRY THIS TOOK SO LONG, HAPPY NEW YEAR! PROMISE NOT TO BE THIS LATE NEXT TIME.