Chapter 13: Valkyrae - The confession

"Harden with the ball, guarded tightly by James..."

     I narrowed my eyes at the screen, listening to the commentator's tinny voice. Sykkuno sat across from me, still calm. It was unnerving how calm he was even during stressful moments.

     "5 seconds left... 4... 3... Harden's going to take the shot!"

     The ball rose up, then was deflected towards the side.

     "And it's blocked by James! The Lakers win! It's all over!"

     "Hah!" I exclaimed, jumping up victoriously.

     "Geez, calm down, it's just a game." Sykkuno muttered, evidently not completely happy with losing.

     I yawned. "It's so late already... why'd you even make me play this?"

     "Well you won, anyway, right?" He laughed.

     "Let's play a game."

     "Sure."

     "You have to tell me a secret you've never told anyone, and in return, I'll do the same for you."

     "Okay... hmmm." Sykkuno scratched his chin in thought. "I have a fear of snakes."

     "Is that why you always leave when we start watching the reptiles show on National Geographic?"

     "Maybe... Okay, your turn."

     Suddenly I was at a loss of what to say.

     "I, um..."

     Hmm... what was my most guarded secret? That even I didn't want to admit to myself?

     "I like you," I blurted out, before my brain could even think.

     Immediately I regretted what I said.

     I looked away, not being able to bear Sykkuno's face. I'd just gone and told him what I didn't even know until know.

     "Rae," he whispered quietly.

     "Rae, look at me."

     I turned towards him.

     "You really like me? As in, more than just friends?"

     Now would be the perfect time to take it back, Rae!

     "Yes."

     What are you doing?

     Sykkuno chewed his bottom lip anxiously.

     "I... I like you too."

     I didn't know who made the first move, but suddenly his lips were pressing against mine, his tongue dancing around my own, his hands running through my hair, and our bodies practically intertwined.

     I didn't want this to stop.

     This was how life was supposed to be.

     This was pure happiness.

     The door opened.

_______________________________

Yay, it happened!

What do you think is going to happen next? IDK if that could be really called a cliffhanger lol

Also thanks to the "demographics" feature I can see there are people reading this book from Costa Rica to Jordan to Nepal to New Zealand. Greetings from the land up north! Guess where that is? It's nice to see that my book has this much of a diverse audience.

Love you all, stay safe!