Chapter 9: Valkyrae - Wolves

Hearing the howl, I was instantly taken back into the past.

     Leah walked down the tree-covered path. It was her favorite spot to be, when she was feeling lonely.

     "Leah!"

     Leah turned around to see Rae, her older sister.

     "Get away from me."

     Rae watched, in sadness, as Leah turned around and walked away, off the path and into the forest.

     "Wait... Leah! Mommy said there are wolves in the forest!"

     "Do you think I care about Mom? She was the one who kicked me out of the house in the first place."

     "Leah!"

     Leah placed her hands on her ears in an effort to block out her sister's pestering and sprinted into the woods.

     Rae stood there for a minute, then started to walk back.

     "AAAAAAHHHHHHHH-"

     Rae whipped her head around, recognizing her sister's scream. She knew something bad happened.

     She started to run, her hair flying into her face as she sprinted in the direction of the scream.

     Rae stopped at a clearing and gasped at what she saw.

     Leah was lying on the ground, her face bloody, her clothes soaked in red. A wolf was standing right beside her limp body.

     Rae picked up a stone and hurled it at the wolf. It hit on target.

     "Rae..." Leah murmured.

     Wait... she was dead.

     "Rae!"

     I jumped, suddenly back in the present. I was leaning on Sykkuno, his face drawn up in worry.

     "I'm... I'm fine," I murmured. "What's happening?"

     "Well, you did hear the wolf howl..."

     "What?"

     I held onto Sykkuno in fear. I didn't need more wolves in my life.

     Leaves rustled in front of us. A snout poked out of the bushes.

     I still remembered my own sister dying, something no one else knew except Mom.

     She was killed by a wolf.

     And so would I.

     Another snout appeared behind the first one.

     "There are two of us and two of them... I mean, we can take them, right?"

     I admired Sykkuno for being optimistic, but, no, we couldn't.

     Sykkuno picked up a branch that seemed sturdy. He swung it at the leading wolf. It snarled, circling back in a defensive stance.

     The other wolf stalked towards me. I frantically searched the ground. I didn't see any rocks or sticks that I could use.

     As it leaped through the air, I threw a fist at it, and its forward motion stopped. It fell to the ground.

     I smiled, pleased with my success, and turned around.

     Just in time to see the other wolf swing its paw at Sykkuno's leg.

 ____________

I don't know what to say other than sorry... I'll update 3 times in the next 3 days.

Also I don't deserve 6k reads. You guys are the best.