Part 6

Avery

Avery

Each day I got a little more anxious about my friends going into the maze.
The stories the other boys tell me seem stretched but they still scared me. Even the snippets I get out of the runners seem frightening, but they don't want me to be worried. 
Some days I will just stare at the walls and imagine what's inside, what grievers are.

Newt

I had a decent night sleep so I woke up early. Its peaceful when no one else is awake.
I get ready and head to the mapping room. While grabbing supplies Minho comes in.
"Haven't seen you up this early in a while" I tease him.
"Ehh, couldn't sleep, ya know," we grab the rest of our days rations and get on our way.
Alby gives us his farewell, and I spot a figure in the camp. It was Avery! I wave to her and she waved back. Just like that, we went in.
Today I was with Minho, Ben, and a few other boys.
It felt long. I was by myself most the time. Running, running, and finding nothing. Just the same old maze with nothing in it. When sunlight started to fade I make my way back to the camp. Minho greets me with a high five.
Alby does a head count and notices Ben hasn't returned. Time ticks, and a crowd forms.

"Alright, Newt take some others and go get him" Alby commands

I bring Minho and a fairly new runner.
Before I turn to go, someone grabs my arm.
"Be safe" I hear a familiar, soft voice whisper. I give her a nod and run with the others into the maze.

Avery

The waiting was unbearable. Found myself fidgeting, attempting to pass some time. I help out with whatever little tasks I can while I wait.
I just ended up back at the entrance to the maze.
"Suns about to set!" Someone announces. We all pier up at the sky and nervous chatter rises.
I can't handle it. My two best friends in the maze. They have to make it back in time. They have to!
I sit down and bury my head into my hands.
Cheers and whoops startle me. I look up. Sure enough Newt and Minho are caring Ben with the other runner leading the way.
Then, that unwanted grumbling erupts from the earth. The doors start to close. The crowd in now yelling and all I can do is watch. They run even faster now, as fast as they can while carrying someone.
The walls tighten but all four boys manage to squeeze out in time. Way to close for comfort.
Commotion spreads around me but all I can focus on is Newt. After giving Ben to some Medics, he leans against a wall in exhaustion. He meets my teary eyes and I rush over to him.
Somehow we both went in for a hug.
"I thought I wasn't going to see you again" I whisper into his shoulder. All he does is hug me tighter, unable to comprehend what he just went through.

I help the other medics with Ben, who was in really tough shape.
Someone lifted his shirt to reveal a dark spot, seeping across his torso, spreading in each vein.
"He's been stung and won't make it," my lead says. We all stop working as his unconscious body breathes slower, and slower.
"Good work today," my lead tells me. "I'm impressed with how well you did. Your making a great med jack"
"Thanks, better then cooking" I say trying to cover my sorrow.