Part 7

Newt

Newt

I tossed and turned all night, drifting in and out of my imagination.
One dream I was running the maze, but there wasn't a sunset. Dark came without a warning. By the time I reached the doors, I could see Avery's face on the other side. Then they closed. I was stuck. I hear the gargle of a monstrous griever. It ran fast at me, wamming me into the ground. It's hideous face with dozens of teeth surround my vision.
I woke up in a heavy sweat, panting. I was exhausted and needed sleep but I refused to fall back. My brain wandered, and my body insisted.
The next dream was worse, it was about Avery. When running the maze I heard a terrible scream. The kind that rattles your soul when you hear it. It was Avery. I run fast towards the screaming. "Avery! Avery where are you!" When I turn a corner I see her. The screaming stopped. She was lying on the floor. A griever runs of. I run faster then ever. But I wasn't getting closer. I just wanted to take her back. I want her. Running and running but she seems to get farther and farther. "Avery!"

Avery

I wake up to shuffling in the room next to me, Newts room. I could tell he was crying, I thought I heard my name? I was worried. He had gone through a lot that day, and he gets nightmares just like me. I peep out my window. It was still dark.
Not being able to bare it any longer I crack open his door. Sure enough Newt seemed to be sleeping, sheets thrown about. I could see outlines of his room in the moonlight. The familiar scent lingered in the air.
I was about to leave when I heard a quiet "Avery"
"Sorry, didn't mean to wake you." I whisper.
"Haven't been able to sleep all night"
"Oh"
"Can you stay with me?" His question caught me off gaurd.
"Of course" I walk over to sit on his bed. He sits up too leaning his head against the back. "Do you want to talk about it?" After a moment he shakes his head.
Newt was still letting out little cries. Agony showed in his face and it made me feel sad.

 Agony showed in his face and it made me feel sad

His hand interlocked with mine. That little touch made my heart soar. I hoped it gave him some comfort as well.
I didn't know hat he was reliving in his dreams, but it must be horrible.
I rest my head on his shoulder, not knowing how else to comfort him. I could feel his chest rising and falling. His breathes slowed and he fell into a peaceful sleep. Eventually I did as well.

Newt

I wake up to a sliver of sunlight through my window. I hear distant conversations, and smell Frypan's bacon.
Thankfully, Alby told me yesterday I get the day off. Haven't sleeped in for a while. Haven't sleeped as good as the last few hours in a while either.
I realize I was still sitting up. Looking down, sure enough, there was a blonde head still sleeping on my shoulder. She was very pleasent looking when she sleeps. Lips parted, eyes fluttering. A flash back from last night came to my mind. How embarrassing.
Avery inhaled deeply and sat up, rubbing her eyes. Turning her head, she smiled at me. Her smile made me feel warm.
Smiling back I say "thanks for staying last night."
"It's the least I can do."