Part 13

AveryA few weeks go by and a lot has changed

Avery
A few weeks go by and a lot has changed. Thomas, Newt, Minho, and I are becoming really good friends. Newt a lil more than friends.
The last couple days have been chaotic. Thomas slipped into the maze after Minho and Alby. That was the worst night. Newt and I stayed up by the bonfire, worried and unable to sleep. I silently cried into his shoulder. When I looked up at him, he was staring into the fire. I was uncertain to talk after crying so I gently brushed away his tear with my thumb. He took my hand and gave it a gentle kiss.
Thankfully everyone was alright. Thomas had even killed a griever! The glade felt a bit different. Everyone new things where changing.
Today, while at lunch, Minho told me to follow him and that it was important. We got to the forest and Thomas, Frypan, and Winston where already there.
"What's going on?" I finally ask.
"We are going to go inspect that griever!" Frank says excitedly. "I've always wanted to see the maze."
"Why bring me?"
"In case one of us need a med jack." Thomas says. "Also, you can't tell Newt."
"What? Why? He won't be happy if he found out I went in the maze again"
"He's second in command Aves. If Newt knows Gally will find out too. Please come, we need you." Thomas says sympathetically.
"Just doesn't feel right." I mutter.
"Alrighty then, let's go." Minho says, leading the way. We crouch in the tall grass to get into the maze without being spotted. The maze was the same as last time. When we found the squished griever everyone ewed. The boys tried to pull it out.
"That won't work." I say right before they all fall to the ground. Minho ended up finding a mechanical tube inside the griever.

 Minho ended up finding a mechanical tube inside the griever

Newt
Chuck came up to me while I was picking berries. "I think some of the guys left... including Avery." My head snaps up when I hear.
"When?"
"Just a little bit ago. I didn't know if I should tell you or no-"
"Thanks for telling my Chuck" I say as I quickly put down my tools and run to the meeting hut. I was worried sick. What if somthing happened to her?
After pacing for a while, keeping any eye on the entrance to the maze, I see figures appear. I run out as fast as I can. Everyone seemed ok. As I approached, Avery seemed very guilty. I gave her an unexpected hug.
"How could you have gone in there after you promised me?" I whisper into her hair. Then my feelings flopped. I let go.
"We are having a meeting NOW." I say sternly, eyeing my friends.
In the meeting, Gally Alby and I decided to punish Thomas. I also declared him a runner. Whenever I looked at Avery, she would look away. When the meeting was over I was still mad, and disappointed. I stormed out towards the my room.