Part 8

Avery

Avery

Alby called a meeting this morning. He made sure no one was slacking and everything was in order.
A vote was held to see what should happen to Gally. Since I hit him first, he is not going to be banished. However, Alby declared that no shanks should try any funny business to me, or else.
The last part of the meeting was about the week ahead.
"We haven't made much progress lately, so the runners will be exploring a new section of the maze this upcoming week." Said Alby. This made me worry. My eyes wonder to Newt, leaning against a wooden pole across the room. He was already looking at me. Apparently my worry was visible because Newt gave me a smile trying to reassure me. Somehow, we understand each other like that.

By the time lunch came around I was starving

By the time lunch came around I was starving. There where a lot of patients I had to care for today. Being one of the best med jacks, I handle the more serious injuries.
I met up with Newt to join the lunch line. We sit down at our usual table with Minho and some other runners.  When my two besties aren't here, I will sit with the other med jacks, I get along well with them.
Minho's smile couldn't be bigger today. Dimples all out as he watched us sit down.
"What is it?" I say confused, for both Newt and me.
"Awe come on... you two!" He says in an obvious tone rolling his eyes. I look at Newt and he chuckles. "You guys go everywhere together!"
"Ok Minho," I say laughing. My legs so close to Newt's, they're touching under the table. I notice his cheeks turn a shade of pink.
The rest of lunch was normal. We had Frypan's famous spaghetti. The three of us have a competition on who can slurp up a noodle fastest. Minho tells his crazy stories and jokes like always. He is definitely the entertainment at meal times.

Newt

Since I wasn't running today I helped the builders this afternoon. We where working on part of the homestead that collapsed last night.
I worked on splitting the new wooden logs for a couple hours. Unfortunately, part of the wood broke of of the log and flung at my face. My quick reflexes shoot my arm up to give me cover. Lowering my arm I feel the piece of wood stuck in at an awkward angle.
Great. Just what I need right now.
I know to keep the wood in to reduce blood loss and walk over to the Medic tent.
The first person I see is Avery. When she looks over at me she ghasps and leads me to a chair.
"What happend?!?"
"Wood" I receive a unamused glare.
"Thankfully, I don't think you will need stitches,"Avery states while examining my arm with a gentle touch. She quickly gets to work, carefully pulling the wood out and thoroughly cleaning the wound. She then wrapped my arm up. Avery blew the loose strands that had fallen out of her pony tail out of the way as she worked.
Sitting back in her chair, and examining her job she huffs "done!"
Her job well done, and quickly too. "Thank you"