Part 10

Avery

Avery

A few days pass.
While sitting with the runners at lunch yesterday. I find out that they will be exploring a new section of the maze starting today.
It was still early morning, I hoped to see my friends to wish them luck before they go in. After I change and pull my hair into a braid, I head out into the dim light of dawn. I skim the glade and spot a few people walking towards the maze.  I'm pretty fast so I catch up to them in no time.
"Hey" I say from behind. They turn around and complain that I scared them.
"I just wanted to tell you shanks good luck and don't die!" I say with enthusiasm. I got some laughs out of that one.
"ok, ok, if you insist" Minho says sassily.
"Thanks," says one of the other runners.
The others resume walking but Newt turns to me. "I will try not to die for you."
"Awesome!" I say with a giggle. I gave him a fist bump before watching him catch up to the others. I stand there in the over grown grass and watch my friends disappear into the maze. 

Newt

I run for a while, splitting up with Minho when entering the new section. It looked the same as every other section in this bloody place. It was still early in the day, but I was hungry. I sat down to map the new turns and eat a sandwich from my pack. 
After a while I reach the end of the section, nothing.
I slowed my pace as I headed back early.
While jogging along I'm stopped by a slow ticking noise. The growl of a Greaver. I could tell it was in the section next to be but I had to be quite. Only a few corners left. I can feel my heart pumping as my feet pound the ground. I turn and smack! I run into another body, we both fall hard to the floor.
"Avery!" I whisper yell "What are you doing here?"
"A pig got loose and it ran in! Im only going in a few corners" she says climbing off of me.
"It's not safe we need to go, NOW"
Confusion showed on her face only for a split second before another growl, closer this time.
She turns the other way and we both run the short way back to the glade.
I realize there's no time by the sound of the greaver close by, "Up here" I yank her to some vines. We climb up to a short wall. Both of use holding our breath. Tip tap tip tap. She peeked down and I saw the horror cross her face. She then turns into me and I give her shoulder a squeeze. The greaver passes and I wait for a little until I talk, "that is why we don't want people coming in this bloody place."
"I'm sorry," Avery apologizes, looking upset still. I didn't mean to make her feel bad, she probably already does.

"We need to hurry," I say leaning over the edge

"So much for being scared of heights," she teases. It does scare me, being up here again.
"Better than being dead," I remark.
"Did you jump" she says with sorrow. I look at her confused. "You didn't fall you jumped?" She figured it out. All I do is look down.
"I was in a rough place but I'm better now," I mumble making my way back down the vines. Avery quickly followed.

"Do you know how much trouble you could get in?" I say out of breath when we exit.
"You won't tell Alby will you?"
"As long as you promise me never to go in there again!"
She gives me a nod and we head back to the homestead.