Chapter 3

It had been going on for a few weeks and both Eric and Tris were perfectly content with their unspoken agreement. After that night, they had spent each and every night together in Eric's apartment after a long lovemaking session. Their attraction grew and Tris started worrying.

She had fallen in love with the ex instructor and he tore her apart. Now, the concept of love was something she dreaded. Tris knew that Eric, like her, had been ignoring the elephant in the room but they had to talk about it and soon. She was, after all, carrying his arch rival's baby.

Sighing softly, Tris went to the infirmary for another check up. She had hit the five month mark in her pregnancy. With a ton of support from Eric of course.

"Miss Prior," a nurse approached her as she walked through the infirmary doors. She led her to her Ob-Gyn.

"Good evening Miss Prior," the doctor said, too chipper for a Dauntless, "I believe you are five months into your pregnancy. Do you want to know the gender yet?"

"Yes please," Tris replied. She had been waiting for the appointment all day. Tris sighed softly. Sure, she knew that the baby was undoubtedly Tobias's and at first she didn't care about herself or her child, but Eric helped her come to her senses before she did something very bad. And when she started thinking clearly again, she knew abortion wasn't an option for her. Slowly but surely, Tris began loving her unborn baby and was, therefore curious and excited to know the gender.

"Follow me, then."

The doctor instructed her to lay down on a table and lift her shirt. Tris quickly obliged. She remembered the process from her first visit. Despite the feeling of abandonment, she was ecstatic about her baby.

He spread the cold gel on her swollen belly and waved his wand. A picture popped up on the computer screen which the doctor observed for a few moments before speaking up.

"See that?" he asked, pointing at a part of the baby on the computer, "that's an indication that your baby is...." he trailed off, with a smile.

"A baby boy! Congratulations! Miss Prior, you have a healthy son who will be meeting you in a few months."

Tris grinned widely and the doctor printed the picture and placed it in an envelope for her to take. She felt a sense of deja vu here, but she didn't let it get to her. She was in a better place now than she had back in her first weeks of pregnancy. When she shared this good news, it would be with someone who actually cared.

All the way to the office, the smile remained on her face. Tris got a few weird looks and whispers but she had been used to ignoring them.

A series of knocks made his mood even more annoyed. Cursing whoever was knocking, Eric got up and opened his door only to be knocked on his ass by an excited Tris barrelling through his office door.

"Tris, baby. Is everything alright? Are you ok? Is it the baby?" Eric panicked but did a double check of Tris's expression. She looked overjoyed.

Rummaging through the bag, Tris handed him an envelope. "Open it please."

Cautiously, Eric tore the envelope, careful to not rip its contents. He looked at the picture for a few seconds and then at Tris and then the picture all the while Tris grew nervous. Was he not happy for her? Had she misread his attention? His affections?

Snapping out of his trance, Eric's asshole leader mask dropped as he fell to his knees in front of her swollen belly. He moved her shirt upwards, exposing her pregnant stomach. Placing soft kisses all over her unborn child he cooed at the baby boy.

"Hello baby, my name is Eric and I love you already. Your mommie is a very amazing person and she loves you so much. You are so lucky to have her as your mother. Just grow up and in a few months we will be able to meet you," Eric mumbled against her stomach, occasionally placing kisses there, making Tris smile warmly at him.