Mrs Kim

Family has always been important to Jennie. Important because she only has one left- at least one that she still talks to: Mrs Kim.

Jennie has long cut ties with her father even before her mother decided to get a divorce. Jisoo doesn't blame her for it. Jennie's father had proven not worth of Jennie's time and unfortunately for them, they learnt it the hard way.

***

January 2014

Jisoo and Chaeng find themselves laughing at Lisa's silliness on their way back to their shared room. They're almost at the door when they hear shouting coming from the direction of their room.

The three of them immediately halt their actions before running towards the sound.

"- I don't understand why you wasted your potential singing and dancing to silly songs when you could've been training to be a lawyer-"

"- I don't want to be a lawyer, dad. I want to become a singer." Jennie says firmly.

It's Jennie's dad again. Once a month, Jennie's dad calls Jennie to supposedly see how she's doing, only for him to constantly yell and degrade the younger woman, trying to convince her to quit being a trainee.

"It's not practical. Look at how long you've been training, and you've yet to debut. Just pack your bags and we will come and get you. It's not too late to quit this madness."

Jisoo pulls her head away from the door. Jennie hates being alone on the phone with him. She looks at Lisa and Chaeng, both with worried looks on their faces.

"She needs us." She whispers, earning a nod from both of the younger girls, before opening the door.

Jennie's eyes widen in surprise at the sound of someone entering the room but immediately relaxes realizing it's just the three of them. Jisoo gives her a reassuring smile before sitting next to her, taking Jennie's hand in her own. The younger two following right behind her.

"- We can still send you to the US and enroll you in a private school-"

"- I don't want to leave, dad! I know we're going to debut soon. I can just feel it. If you can just-"

"- just what? Be patient?" An audible scoff through the phone. "Who are you really convincing? Me or yourself?"

Jisoo watches as Jennie clenches her fist, biting her bottom lip, almost like she's stopping herself from speaking.

"I should've stopped you when I had the chance, but instead I listened to your mother. Now look how you've turned out."

Jennie pulls her hand away from Jisoo's and then scoffs at the phone.

"How have I turned out, dad?" Jennie challenges. "Please enlighten me since you know me so well."

"And now you're answering back? You've had too much freedom, Jennie. Where are your manners?"

"Just let me talk to my mum."

"And let her fuel with more lies about this foolish career path you've chosen for yourself?" He says, now yelling at the phone. "You're an embarrassment to this family. I hope you know that." He says with finality before ending the call.

They all stare at Jennie's phone in silence. The room's quiet enough to hear a pin drop. Jisoo's attention suddenly draws back to Jennie, fists clenched, gripping onto her blanket.