love is born when hearts collide

January 2020

They're approaching Jennie's birthday really fast when Jisoo realises Lisa wouldn't be there to celebrate with her.

The youngest member's currently in China filming for her upcoming project. She doesn't blame Lisa for being busy, nobody does. They're all happy for her, but it doesn't mean Jisoo doesn't see the way Jennie's eyes are dimmer without the Thai woman around.

It's a touchy topic they all seem to avoid whenever Jennie's in the room. Jennie does a good job at pretending it doesn't bother her, but Jisoo knows her well enough to know that it slightly is.

So here she is, standing in front of Jennie's room with an excited Rosé in tow right before midnight. Rosé's holding a cupcake with a lighted candle on it.

She and Rosé had agreed to greet Jennie a happy birthday at midnight to uphold a tradition that began during their days as trainees- maybe this will cheer her lil Jendukie.

***
January 2012

Jisoo sighs in relief as her body hits the softness of her mattress.

"Never make me leave my bed again." She says to Jennie as the younger woman joins her on her bed.

They had just trained for 14 hours non-stop today. To say they were tired was an understatement.

They lay together in comfortable silence, almost long enough for Jisoo to fall asleep when Jennie decides to speak.

"Unnie," She starts.

"Yeah?"

"It's my birthday tomorrow." Jennie says, her voice barely above a whisper.

This new bit of information wakes Jisoo up as she turns to face her friend. They hadn't really known each other for a while, but she and Jennie seemed to have gravitated towards each other. They were fast friends. Sometimes Jisoo feels like they've known each other for her whole life.

Jennie Kim. 15 years old. "YG's hidden gem" is what they dubbed her to be. She radiated talent with her polished skills.

Everybody gravitates towards Jennie because Jennie's who most of them want to be.

And sure, that's partly why Jisoo was easily enermoured by the younger girl, but the pull towards the younger woman was because of the way their personalities just clicked.

She doesn't know how, but they both understand each other. Even with the limited time they've had together.

She hopes they'd remain close friends, even if she doesn't get to debut.

"Tomorrow? Why did I just find out about this?" Jisoo says.

Jennie shrugs.

"Nobody asked." Jennie replies.

"We need to celebrate." Jisoo says seriously.

"With who? Everybody's too scared of me." Jennie sighs.

It's true.

Despite Jennie's admirable talents, the trainees refuse to approach Jennie out of intimidation. She can sort of understand why. Jennie's been there the longest and stands out, making most of the trainees jealous of her- and Jennie's tough exterior didn't do much to help her either.

But in the months of getting to know her, Jisoo realises that Jennie isn't as tough as she seems. Just like any other teenager, Jennie was just as scared, shy, and insecure. The only difference being was how well she hid that part of her.