Chapter 26 - Moving On

A.J had just entered the Wheezes bathroom when Fred started talking. He had been here waiting for her.

"George said I was a prat the other day." He said shortly.

"Well." A.J smiled.

"I just wanted your attention." Fred said defensively.

"You believe that was the way to do it?" A.J asked calmly.

He shrugged.

A.J conjured up two squishy armchairs for them. She sat down in one.

"You flirt all the time with guys." Fred said quietly.

Her eyes widened in shock, "I what?"

Fred stared at her.

"I talk to guys the same way I'd talk to any girl." A.J said kindly.

Fred knew she was right, but he wasn't going to acknowledge it. He still hated that any bloke got to talk to her more than he did.

She waited awhile until he had calmed down. When he finally sat down in the armchair beside her, she talked; "I'd prefer you didn't try to get my attention that way in future."

"Yeah, okay." He easily resigned.

"So, anything in particular you want to talk about?" She prompted.

"Got a deadline?" He raised his eyebrows.

She shook her head. "Do you?"

"Not really, told George to beat it for a while." Fred sniggered.

A.J drummed her fingers on the armrest and waited.

"I want you back. And I know you want me too." Fred watched her intently as she only stared into her lap. He didn't like the feeling that created in his stomach.

She looked at him. "Fred, it's over."

He leant forward in his chair, "I don't believe that. I mean, I won't believe that."

"I am dangerous to be seen with..." A.J started.

"But why?" Fred interrupted.

She weighed her words carefully before answering; "Most people have weaknesses, right?"

Fred nodded but was unsure how this was explaining things.

"Heights, keeping boyfriends, apparating, vomiting." He smirked, listing the ones he knew of her.

"The best way to get at someone is by using their weaknesses. Attacking my friends and family..." A.J couldn't finish. "I can't hide who my family are, but it's best to hide friends."

"You have friends in the Order." Fred stated.

"Nobody knows I'm in the Order, besides others who have attended meetings, and you guys I told at Grimmauld Place. Which is why being seen with a son, of two known members, isn't ideal either."

"This is about protecting the Order?" Fred's expression darkened.

"Somewhat." A.J waited in silence.

"Sirius said some things are worth dying for. That being in the Order meant you knew that." Fred said calmly.

She nodded, "The Order has a greater purpose then just the lives of the people in it. It doesn't mean losing someone is ideal." She smiled sadly. "But protecting a large amount of people in the long-run is worth whatever comes."

"So, to stop being a target to get to you...?" Fred got back to the point.

"We're done." She said in such a final way, he didn't rebut it.

"But why would anyone want to get to you?" Fred continued.

"All Order members are targets. Or if they knew how close I am to Professor Dumbledore."

She leant forward in her chair and started gently; "Listen. I'm going to start dating someone else soon."

"No!" Fred glared.

She rolled her eyes. "Nobody expects me to remain single for the rest of the school year."

He continued to glare darkly at her.

She said softly. "I will, manipulate situations to get what I have to get done. You need to be aware of that about me. You worked out some of it, but I want to be clear that you know all the parts where I played you."

He now looked surprised.

"I used you to deter Riley from wanting to get back together with me. It's why I went to Wheezes bathroom that first time, so soon after breaking up with him. I didn't make you kiss me, but I knew something would eventuate if I cleared the air."

"I knew you were listening when I was talking to Sirius and your mother in the kitchen at Grimmauld place, you heard what I wanted you to hear."

Fred was wondering just how dangerous she could be. None of what she had said yet was that serious. But she could, and probably would, really hurt someone if it was for their own good.

"Also, you know the only reason we are here, discussing this right now is because my planning and scheming with you did backfire. I didn't factor in liking you that much."

Friday morning in Herbology, Simon stood near A.J for the period. Which meant Riley – Simon's cousin – joined them also. A.J wondered how Fred was taking this.

"Well, the Hufflepuff still likes you." Fred called out after class.

A.J had walked around the Vegetable patches to sit near the Forest, for the free period before lunch.

Fred and George were walking over to her.

"His name is Riley." She said reproachfully. "But what makes you say that?" She asked thoughtfully.

"The way he kept looking at you." George scoffed. George proceeded with a demonstration of his head tilted down but raising his eyes to look at her every couple of seconds.

"Can't imagine his girlfriend is really pleased with him." She shrugged indifferently.

They sat down around her. "He has a girlfriend?" Fred asked rather happily.

She nodded. "She was the one glaring at me all lesson."

"You wouldn't know it the way he was looking at you." George said.

"You noticed her looking at you but not him?" Fred asked tentatively.

"I tend to block out things I don't want to see. Besides I was preoccupied with whether you were glaring at me, or him the whole lesson?"

"Him of course." Fred answered, now completely placated that she had spent the lesson watching him.

"So are you guys going to watch the match tomorrow?" She asked.