Chapter 1

1945

Steve and Peggy had planned to wait until marriage, they really did. But when the reality of their situation set in and they realised there was a chance they weren't both going to make it out of the war alive; they decided to stop being so in their heads and just go with it. 

When Peggy got that call from Steve, the love of her life, her heart sank. Logically, she knew what was going on however she still hoped he would be telling her that he would be back shortly, safe and sound, and they could build their life together and live happily ever after. God was she wrong. When she heard the plane collide with the ice and the sound of the radio was muffled by the water which filled it, she couldn't breathe. The light within her was smothered and she begged for this all to just be some sick nightmare. It wasn't. 

In the end, the only thing that got Peggy through all of that crap was the memory of that last night they had spent together. 

What came two weeks later was the most bittersweet moment Peggy would ever experience. Peggy found out she was pregnant. She was scared, in denial and felt like she was going to throw up when she found out, however that was a tether to Steve growing inside of her. And sure this isn't the way she wanted to start a family with him and she was terrified that she wasn't going to be able to do this alone but for the first time since that day, there was a spark of hope within Ms Peggy's heart. 

Peggy stared into the mirror watching her rapidly growing baby bump. "I'm going to have to tell people eventually, it can't be a secret forever," she said to herself "but what will they think? I'm a woman having a baby out of wedlock without a partner...no. No. No. No, I'm not letting myself go down that path. I'm a badass agent and a founder of S.H.I.E.L.D who can raise this child and I don't care what anyone else has to say about it." With that, she made her way to headquarters to tell her closest friends and coworkers, the news. 

Surprisingly Howard took it the best. He genuinely looked excited and promised to "...help out wherever needed, I can even tutor it! Teach it engineering and math and science, this baby will be a genius when I'm done with it! And of course, I'll be more than happy to pay for it to go to school and the best college in the country. I just can't believe it. Steve's having a child! I-um I mean you and Steve are having a child" He says, nervously rubbing the back of his neck. 

Honestly, it was kind of weird how excited Howard was... but Peggy knew he had always been kind of obsessed with Steve since he had the super-soldier serum and was honestly just glad he wasn't being his usual judgemental, sarcastic, asshole self. She still loved him for it, of course, in this situation though, it might have resulted in a bloody nose on his end.

The pregnancy was rough. Each time the baby kicked it was agony, however desperately Peggy tried to find joy in it. She was constantly tired which made doing her job to the standard she used to, very difficult if not impossible.  

Despite this, nine months later she was holding her and Steve's child in her arms and couldn't help but get lost in those eyes. They were the eyes of her love resting upon the sweet face of their daughter, Y/N Rogers. 

To the rest of the world, Y/N would be known as a Carter but to herself and the few people that knew who her father was, she was a Rogers. 

Every night before bed Peggy would tell Y/N stories of her father, the amazing Steve Rogers. Peggy wanted to make sure her daughter knew of her father and the amazing man he was especially once she realised the child carried Steve's super-soldier DNA. That day came when Y/N was three years old. She was spending time with her uncle, Howard Stark when she got a hold of his goatee. Howards laughed "You silly little thing, give me that back" but two seconds later and Y/N had ripped it straight off and refused to let go of the ball of torn off facial hair until her Mother had come back and bribed her with a strawberry... after failing to pry her tiny hand open. After that Howard has stormed off muttering words about how much he hated children and refused to show his face again until his goatee had grown back.