Chapter 6

(Art by LindseyVi)

(Art by LindseyVi)

RiverClan

It had been half a moon after Flutterpaw's death and everything felt numb to Mosspaw all except for the voices that would echo in his ears every waking moment.

"The five stars." "These cats must walk their own path." "Can he hear us?" "Only when we speak among ourselves." "She must lead her through the storm." "The first seeker has arrived" "A soft wing strokes the koi's eye." "A fire will bring a leopard to destroy the shadowed frost." "The setting sun will show you what lies dormant." "Mosspaw it's-" 

Mosspaw wailed and covered his ears, "Stop! Stop! Stop!" He curled into his tail and flopped down back into his new nest. Ever since Flutterpaw passed he had been sleeping in the medicine cat's den with his father Willowsong. He only left the medicine cat's den to go to the dirt place, but always had his father or the healer Shellwhisker escort him.

Willowsong got up and layed beside his son, his blue eyes exhausted, "It's ok Mosspaw," he calmly mewed, "I'm here. I'm here." The grey tom purred loudly so it could soothe and ground Mosspaw's anxiety. He nuzzled his head into his father as if he was a small kit. "F-flutterpaw..." Mosspaw whimpered.

Once Mosspaw settled down into his nest Willowsong caught Shellwhisker's attention and had asked her to speak with her outside. Mosspaw couldn't help, but listening to their conversation.

"Did he have another outburst?" Shellwhisker asked.

"He did. I can't tell if he gets overwhelmed with what happened, his ears are causing him pain from the accident, or both. He's always been anxious, but I want to be able to tell which is bothering him and when." The grey warrior slouched over, "I just want him to be ok."

"I know," Shellwhisker mewed her whiskers twitching, "I've been trying to keep an eye on his ears best I can, but I haven't faced anything like this before. His ears are physically fine and all the water was taken out, but it might be a kind of ear ringing? Or he might be having a heightened sensitivity to noise?"

"I wish that was all it was..." Mosspaw thought not wanting to tell these cats about the constant voices of cats in his ears.

"Willowsong!" Dappleleaf's voice came from further in the camp, "I hate to keep you away from some sleep, but the other clan cats will be here anytime now. Could you keep an eye on Mosspaw til they leave? The situation wold probably be hard for him."

"I could easily do that," Shellwhisker scoffed, "Let him rest."

"Other clan cats? What happened at the Gathering last night?" Mosspaw wondered. 

"What if a cat gets injured on the way here? We need you ready to treat wounded cats," Dappleleaf pressed.

Lotusfur padded up to stand beside the RiverClan deputy her muzzle near hers, "Dappleleaf, I could always wake up Willowsong if there's an emergency. Shellwhisker knows what she's doing."