Chapter 16 - Tom Riddle

Harry's POV

I was standing at the end of a very long chamber. There was an odd, greenish gloom about the place, with pairs of stone pillars casting shadows on the floor.

I pulled out my wand and carefully advanced forward, keeping my eyes narrowed so I could shut them instantly at any sign of movement.

As I reached the last pair, a statue loomed into view. I had to crane my neck to look at it; the statue was of what seemed to be an old man, with a long beard that almost reached the bottom of his robes. At the bottom of the statue lay a small figure, faced down, with flaming red hair.

"Ginny!" I cried, sprinting to her and dropping to my knees. "Ginny! Don't be dead! Please don't be dead!"

I flung my wand aside, grabbed Ginny's shoulders and turned her over. She was almost white, deathly cold, but her eyes were closed. So she wasn't Petrified... but if she wasn't Petrified, then...

"Ginny, please wake up," I moaned desperately, shaking her. She couldn't die - she just couldn't.

"She won't wake," Came a voice behind me. I jumped and span around.

A tall, dark-haired boy was leaning against a pillar, watching us. It was almost like he was blurred around the edges - like a misted-up mirror. But still, there was no mistaking who he was.

"Tom - Tom Riddle?"

He nodded, not taking his eyes off of me.

"What d'you mean, she won't wake?" I said desperately. "She's not - she's not - ?"

"She's still alive," Said Riddle, "But only just."

I stared at him. He had been at Hogwarts fifty years ago, yet he didn't look older than sixteen.

"Are you a ghost?" I asked him uncertainly.

"A memory," He answered quietly, "Preserved in a diary for fifty years."

He pointed towards the floor near the base of the statue. There was the diary I'd found in Moaning Myrtle's bathroom, lying open.

"You've got to help me, Tom," I said. "We've got to get her out of here. There's a Basilisk... I don't know where it is, but it could be along any moment. Please, help me..."

Tom Riddle didn't move. I managed to hoist Ginny halfway off the floor, and reached for my wand - except it wasn't there.

"Did you see - ?"

I looked up to see Tom still watching me, twirling my wand between his fingers.

"Thanks," I said, stretching my hand out for it.

He smiled coldly, and still stared at me, twirling the wand idly.

"Look," I said urgently, "We've got to go! If the Basilisk comes..."

"It won't come until it is called," Tom said calmly.

I lowered Ginny back onto the floor, unable to hold her up any longer.
"What d'you mean?" I said. "Look, give me my wand, I might need it."

His smile broadened.

"You won't be needing it," He said.
I stared at him.

"What d'you mean, I won't be - ?"
"I've waited a long time for this, Harry Potter," Tom said. "For the chance to see you. To speak to you."

"Look," I said, irritated now, "I don't think you get it. We're in the Chamber of Secrets. We can talk later."

"We're going to talk now," Said Tom, still smiling, and he pocketed my wand.