Chapter 13 - Not Hagrid

It was Valentine's Day, quite a while since the Polyjuice Potion and Malfoy, and still Ginny hadn't spoken to me. She'd promised she'd never leave me - granted, she hadn't left me because I was in Slytherin, but it still stung. I'd thought maybe another week of silence, at most a few - but definitely not this long.

I wonder if Ginny missed me as much as I missed her.

No one had been attacked since Nearly Headless Nick and Justin, so most people had relaxed. That was a good thing.

When Draco and I walked into the Great Hall together, I could barely recognise it. Beside me, Draco gagged, staring at the heart-shaped confetti that was falling from the ceiling. It was pretty clear who was behind... this.

Lockhart was waving for silence at the teachers' table, wearing lurid pink robes to match the decorations. I sat down uncertainly, looking at Draco with an "Is this normal?" look.

He shook his head at me.

"Haply Valentine's Day!" Lockhart shouted. "And may I thank the forty-six people who have so far sent me cards!"

"What fickle-minded bloody plonker would send him a card?" I muttered. Draco snorted.

"Yes, I have taken the liberty of arranging this little surprise for you all - and it doesn't end here!"

Lockhart clapped his hands, and through the doors marched about a dozen dwarfs. Not just any dwarfs - they were wearing golden wings and carrying harps.

"My friendly, card-carrying Cupids!" Lockhart introduced, beaming. "They will be roving around the school today delivering your Valentines! And the fun doesn't stop here! I'm sure my colleagues will want to enter into the spirit of the occasion! Why not ask Professor Snape to show you how to whip up a love potion? And while you're at it, Professor Flitwick knows more about entrancing Enchantments than any wizard I've ever met, the sly old dog!"

I sighed. This was going to be a long day.

***

I had just exited Charms when I was kicked in the shins by one of the Cupid-Dwarfs and barged out of the way. The dwarf seemed to be after Harry, who's face was bright red.

"I've got a musical message to deliver to 'Arry Potter in person," Said the dwarf.

"Not here," Harry hissed, trying to get away.

"Stay still!" Grunted the dwarf, grabbing hold of Harry's bag and pulling him back.

"Let me go!" The boy protested.

Harry's bag suddenly split in two, his books, wand, parchment and quill spilling onto the floor, his ink bottle smashing all over it.

I knelt down on the floor and helped Harry pick it up as a crowd began to accumulate, before I heard that someone's voice.

"What's going on here?" Malfoy drawled, while Harry began stuffing things into his bag in a panic.

"What's all this commotion?" Came the another someone's voice, that of Percy Weasley going Prefect style.

Harry tried to run for it, but the dwarf tackled him to the floor.

"Right," He said, pinning the boy down, "Here is your singing Valentine:
His eyes are as green as a fresh pickled toad,
His hair is as dark as a blackboard.
I wish he was mine, he's really divine,
The hero who conquered the Dark Lord."