Chapter 4 - Diagon Alley

About a week and a bit later, I was staying at The Burrow again. We woke up early, ate a few bacon sandwiches for breakfast, and then prepared to go to Diagon Alley. I fastened a silver locket around my neck – my birthday gift from Ricky.

When we were all ready, Mrs. Weasley took a flowerpot off the kitchen mantelpiece and took a look inside.

“We're running low, Arthur,” She sighed. “We'll have to buy some more today... Ah well, guests first! Clara, Harry?”

She offered him the flowerpot. Harry stared at us all watching him, then stammered,

“W-what am I supposed to do?”

“He's never travelled by Floo powder,” Said Ron suddenly. “Sorry, Harry, I forgot.”

“Well, practise makes perfect,” I said cheerily. “And you'll have to try at some point anyway.”

Mrs Weasley looked worried.

“He'll be alright, Mum,” said Fred. “Harry, watch us first, then you can go with Clara.”

He took some of the Floo powder, then stepped up to the fire and threw it into the flames.

Instantly, the fire turned emerald green and  taller than Fred himself, who stepped into it and shouted, “Diagon Alley!” Before vanishing.

“You must speak clearly, dear,” Mrs Weasley told Harry, as George dipped his hand into the flowerpot. “And mind you get out at the right grate...”

“The right what?” Harry asked nervously, as George disappeared too.

“Well, there are an awful lot of wizard fires pto choose from, you know, but as long as you've spoken clearly –”

“They'll be fine, Molly, don't fuss,” Mr Weasley said.

“But dear, if he got lost, how would we ever explain to his aunt and uncle?”

“They wouldn't mind,” Harry reassured her. “Dudley would think it was a brilliant joke if I got lost up a chimney, don't worry about that.”

“My dad probably wouldn't mind, either,” I said, trying to make it sound like a joke.

“Well... All right... You two go together, then at least your with someone who knows her way around, Harry,” Said Mrs Weasley, nodding at me. “Now, when you get into the fire, say where you're going –”

“And keep your elbows tucked in,” Ron advised.

“And keep your eyes shut,” Said Mrs Weasley. “The soot –”

“Don't fidget,” Said Ron. “Or you might well both fall out of the wrong fireplace –”

“But don't panic and get out too early, wait until you see Fred and George.”

I linked arms with Harry, glancing back at Ginny, who was grinning wildly. Then, looking up at him, I said, “Ready when you are...”

Harry took some Floo powder and walked to the edge of the fire. He scattered the powder into the flames, we both stepped forward; then Harry must've swallowed hot ash, because he choked out a not-clear-at-all “D-Dia-gon Alley,”.

My eyes widened. “Wait-”

We were swept up in the flame, and my eyes stung from the soot. I'd travelled by Floo before, so it wasn't too bad, but squinting up at Harry, he looked like he was going to be sick.

We suddenly fell onto cold stone. Standing up, Harry held broken glasses to his eyes. They must've shattered in the fall.

“Where are we?” He asked.