Chapter 9

The two of you entered the meeting room, arriving just behind Aguni, who had managed to shower, like Hatter told him to, in the time you spent in the hallway.
Since there were only enough chairs for the original executives, you pulled up an extra chair and sat where there was just enough room beside Niragi at the end of the table. You watched him intently as he laid his gun on the table carelessly and took a seat. In seconds, he had gotten himself comfortable and was zoning out, not giving two fucks about the meeting at hand. Looking around, you could see the new guy stood by the wall awkwardly and you figured Hatter brought him along. He must have felt your burning glare because he turned to you and stared back. It seemed like he was trying to figure you out but you wouldn't let him in.
Aish, the nerve of this guy. How annoying...
He was beginning to frustrate you so you gave up your silent challenge.

Mira began discussing which cards were remaining but you weren't bothered. You couldn't see yourself ever actually leaving this place so you would continue the way you were. Keep playing the games. Keep surviving. You didn't care which card you were playing for. It's not like you would be leaving if you got them all anyway. You had moved up in the ranks at The Beach pretty fast but number 9 wasn't going to make it out for a long time still.

In your boredom, you shuffled and lay your head across Niragi's lap beside you. He was clearly just as disinterested as you; he was twirling your soft H/C hair in his fingers and plaiting small sections.
"For someone who tries to act so high up and manly, you're like a teenage girl. I've never met a man who even knows how to plait. You know, you can be really bratty like one too." You giggled quietly at him, making sure you don't interrupt the meeting.
"Watch it, sweetheart. Don't compare me to a weak little girl. You know I don't like that. If you annoy me again, I might have to punish you..." He tugged on your hair slightly and leaned down to whisper into your ear. You were seriously considering teasing him again, just for the sake of this 'punishment'.

But before you could, Hatter called your name.
"Y/N, you can actually have some input now that Arisu seemingly can't answer my question. You were at the nine of hearts game, were you not? Is there any advice you can give us?" His question made you tense up, the memories of the game flooding back to you. To put it simply, you left covered in blood. Alone.
You unwillingly sat up from the comfort of Niragi's lap to answer him.
"I've never had any friends in this world so a game of hearts never affected me. Just don't play the game with people you actually want to survive." You replied offhandedly, it being a conversation you weren't keen to drag out. Niragi could tell that you were partially lying, but he didn't want to bring it up.

You laid back down and stared blankly at the ceiling, void of any thought. Niragi continued playing with your hair gently. You couldn't see it but he was looking down at you, concerned. His sociopathic side completely faded whenever he was genuinely caring for you. Just like when you were hungover and just like right then, when he could tell that the mention of the game had unsettled you. You were the only person who had ever brought out this part of him, and it was tearing him apart inside. He wanted to bully you, tease you, do awful things to you - but in these moments, all he wanted to do was make sure you were okay.

The comfort was cut short by Hatter's loud announcement that he would be going to the next game and that the meeting was adjourned. With that, everyone got up and most vacated the room until the only ones left were you and Niragi, stood in silence.

Your next actions surprised him though.

You wrapped your arms around him and your head fell onto his chest. And, for the first time since he met you, Niragi watched, heartbroken, as a tear rolled down your cheek.

A/N

I'm in lockdown now so I should have a lot more time to write because I won't be going out!

And thank you for nearly 10k reads and just over 450 votes! I love y'all for reading and voting and I'm praying that you're still enjoying😖🙏🏼
If there's anything you'd like to see in future chapters (maybe some of  Y/N's backstory? idk lol) or if you just have any ideas in general, feel free to comment them or message me! And if you have anyone or anything you would like me to write a whole other story about, please tell me because I want to write more than just this book but I'm not really sure who to make it about?