Chapter 1.3-Slave Driver and Designated Driver

With the house cleaned up, all that was left to do was wait for his guests to arrive. Emile left

Ronin on the couch with Ivar. He was watching some dumb show about a blue cat and his pet goldfish.

Emile was at the kitchen table making the final exam for finals week. He had to make two separate tests, one for and without calculators. It was a tedious and irritating task sometimes, but at least he got to make his own tests. Sometimes he has to give his students what the math department makes and 9 times out of 10 they ask ridiculous questions.

With his tests, he could make sure that the test covers everything that he taught them while also supervising their level of difficulty. He always made sure to add a secret extra credit question to every exam, but he never told them which one. It's almost always the hardest question though. It was his favorite part of constructing exams.

Closing in at 5 P.M. Emile's doorbell finally rang. He yelled for Ronin to answer the door and began to pack up his things; his computer, past exams, pens and pencils.

"It's my dad!" Ronin called out to him, and Emile was not surprised. Aaron was always the first to arrive for game night.

Emile entered the front room and watched Aaron settle in. He handed a few grocery bags to Ronin to take into the kitchen as he took off his shoes and put down his gym bag. It was gray with an assortment of enamel pins. Some were Harry Potter themed, some were related to figure skating and ballet, and some were so artsy that Emile didn't know what to make of them. Aaron used the bag interchangeably for ballet, skating, and game night. Emile had teased him once by calling it a diaper bag because the man seemed to have just about everything in there, from energy drinks to an emergency change of clothes.

"Good to see you, Ronnie. How was work?" Emile asked, taking the bag from him to set on the couch. The man must've had a long day because he looked ready to drop.

"Exhausting," He sighed. "One of my students has a very rigorous routine that they're working on and it takes a lot out of me." He commented, and Ronin poked his head in from the kitchen and looked at him bewildered.

"As rigorous as mine?" He asked disbelievingly. Aaron threw a pillow his way and pursed his lips. He was obviously too tired to do much else.

"It is yours, you slave driver. Your lessons and practice leave me with no energy for my other students." Ronin raised his eyebrows in understanding but didn't look very remorseful about his dad's energy level or the other students he was perhaps impacting.

"It's fine, because it'll be worth it. I'm going to win gold for sure this time." Ronin remarked casually, disappearing back into the kitchen to unpack the grocery bags. Emile smirked at the kid's audacity and turned to face his friend.

"What did it cost?" He asked gravely.

"Everything." He replied without hesitation. Emile laughed, but only because he was lucky not to be in Aaron's position. Both Aaron and Andre, Ronin's other dad, of course loved Ronin from the bottom of their hearts. He was everything they could ask for and more, and it tugged on Aaron's heart strings that Ronin was so keen on following him in his footsteps into the world of figure skating and ballet. However, it was no secret that Ronin could be a bit of a Prima Donna. He had exceptional confidence in his dancing and skating, but keeping up with such a performer could be a handful. He demanded not only a lot from himself, but also from the people who supported him in the background, especially Aaron who was both his teacher and coach. Emile would eventually have to deal with Ronin's cheek once he started high school, but for now, he was Aaron and Andre's problem.

"Are you drinking tonight?" Emile asked, knowing that if Aaron was able, he'd want a drink right away.

"Yes. A White Claw please." He muttered as he dug through his gym bag to grab his gaming materials for the night. Emile left for the kitchen to grab the drinks, sending Ronin on his way with some cranberry juice before he tried to ask for a sip of the alcohol.