Chapter 1.4-Fantasy and Reality

Eventually, when leftovers were put away and drinks were refilled, the group retreated to the dining room table where the rest of the night would take place. Everyone began to gather their things, D&D Handbooks, character sheets, markers and pencils and find their chair for the night. Gray had the most work out of all of them. He was the campaign's DM and as such had much bigger responsibilities than any of them. Emile had once tried to be DM but found he couldn't keep up with the work that was put into it. He was much more content with punching the throats of monsters with his Tiefling Monk.

Gray unpacked his computer first and started it up. He then pulled out their Dungeon's Map Grid along with the little molds of the floors for said Dungeon. He brought out his own pens and pencils, the Handbook plus 3 more, and of course, his trusty set of dice.

Gray with Pan's help then reconstructed the Dungeon they were in from where they last left off. If Emile remembered correctly, they were about to fight a mini boss.

Finally, when all of that was set up, the group settled down to play. The five players were at a door that they quickly discovered ensconced a nasty necromancer on the other side. Knowing that there wasn't much else they could do, the group decided they were ready to open the door and face the music.

Gray quickly went on to explain that not only was the necromancer they were hunting in there, but also at least 20 of his cronies as well. He asked for the five to roll for initiative to let the battle begin.

Tim, who rolled a 21, was allotted to go first and was asked what he wanted to do. Emile immediately knew that whatever he said next was going to be completely stupid. He was right.

"I cast my fear spell and T-Pose on them." He explained confidently. Pan, Monti, and Aaron could only giggle into their fists as Gray looked at the man incredulously.  The man had obviously never been told something like that before and looked to Emile and Pan for help as not only had the two DM'd before, but they also apparently knew what Tim was talking about.

Deciding to help him out, Pan stifled her giggles and addressed Tim.

"Roll for Intimidation, Peahead."

The rest of the night went on like that. A battle that probably could have taken an hour tops, was prolonged into almost 3. It didn't help that as more booze was passed along, the harder it was to make any helpful decisions. Emile was surprised that they all hadn't died yet, but he supposed that's what Pan was there for as their Cleric.

He himself wasn't making things any better either. He had succumbed to alcohol, good company, and the fantasy of Dungeons and Dragons. Emile was barely aware of the reality that was sure to hit him like a bus the next morning with the hangover he was sure to get.

However, he was made aware of it earlier than expected as the ringing of his phone suddenly interrupted the jovial chaos that had consumed the dining room.

With fumbling fingers, he pulled his phone out of his pants pocket and looked at the screen. He could just barely register that the number was unknown to him, but ended up answering it regardless in his mindless condition.

"Hello?" He grumbled, plugging his ears slightly to be able to hear over his friends yelling at each other over what to do next.

"Yes hello, am I speaking to Emile Ramos?" The voice asked, and Emile suddenly remembered that it was weird for someone to be calling him so late in the night. Knowing that this conversation might be something important, Emile excused himself from the table, ignoring Tim's drunken wails to come back.

"This is he, and who am I speaking to?" He asked noncommittally, half listening to the stranger on the phone and half trying to find a glass of water to sober himself up with.