ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 9

Crimson

"C'mon Amira, stop chatting with Crimson, come dance with me!" Reese says as he stands up and offers a hand to her. I stick my tongue out at him, and he does the same, grinning.

"I think we're gonna head to the dance floor too," Estalla says with a smile as she and Annie stand up. "You know, just to mingle around," she grins and I wink at them.

"Fine," I say dramatically, turning back to Reese and Amira. "Leave me here, all alone.... with no one to talk to...." But they can't hear me, because they're already on the dance floor, spinning happily to the beat of the Weird Sisters. I roll my eyes and take a swig of butterbeer.

"Hey little sister," a bright voice says from behind me, and I punch them lightly on the shoulder as a greeting.

"What's up, Jack?" I say, taking a bite of pasta. He shrugs, snagging a green bean off of my fork.

"Not much. What are you doing all alone?"

"Reese and Amira are dancing," I tell him.

"Are they, you know, together?" he asks casually.

"Reese and Amira?" I laugh. "No, they're just friends."

"Mmm, that's what they all say."

"Well, it's true. And I, of all people, would know," I say. "Why do you ask?" I add with a smirk.

"No reason," he says, taking another green bean.

"Mmm, that's what they all say," I repeat his words. He looks at me in exasperation and I laugh. "C'mon, tell me," I plead.

"I was just asking!" he exclaims. I roll my eyes.

"Sure thing, Jackie," I say mischievously and he pinches the bridge of his nose in frustration.

"You're unbelievable, you know that? I'm starting to feel sorry for Reese, because of all people, he had to have you as a twin." I gasp dramatically and throw a bean at him. He catches it.

"You and your Seeker reflexes," I scoff and he smiles. We watch the people on the dance floor for a moment before he turns to me with a strange expression.

"Do you know my friend, Arlo?" he asks.

"Oh, er, yeah, I-I've heard of him," I say, flustered for some reason. "Why?"

"Just wondering," he says and turns back to the people on the dance floor, fighting off a smug smile.

"What?" I ask sharply. He just laughs and leans back in his chair, lacing his arms behind his head. I punch him on the side of his stomach. "What, you idiot?" I say stubbornly.

"Merlin, Crimson, that hurt!" he frowns as he rubs the spot where I hit him. I cross my arms and glare at him. "Obviously you got Mum's stubbornness," he mumbles. I'm about to punch him again when he stands up.

"Ahh, look, there's Arlo right there," he says smugly and I nearly choke on my butterbeer. "Do you know him? Should I invite him to sit with us?"

"No, and no!" I hiss, trying to hide behind the large centerpiece. Jack just laughs at me.

"You're an idiot," he jokes and walks away. I glare at the back of his head, and try to cool off my burning cheeks.

I don't know Arlo, and he's probably exactly like those two boys in Amira and I's Charms class, I try to tell myself, but my heart still does a hopeful flutter at the possibility that he might be different.

By now, Amira and Reese have finished dancing, and they sit down happily, Estella and Annie not far behind them.

"I'm glad you two had fun," I mutter grumpily.