Chapter 9 - Enemy at the Gates

MAIUS, ADELAISA, ELBORON AND SEVERAL RANGERS ENTERED ANGBAND ON A RECONAISSANCE OPERATION. The two Blades had arrived in Middle-earth a few days ago and joined the young captain of Gondor patrolling the perimeter of the ancient stronghold of Morgoth. Elboron was glad to have the Akaviri Knights with him, especially one trained in the use of magic. Maius and Adelaisa were both stationed in Alinor, helping the Thalmor regain their memories. Maius was the first Altmer to regain his identity as a descendant of the Noldor and spent many years assisting other elves remember their lost distinctiveness. As a reward, the Aldmeri Dominion rescinded the White Gold Concordant, apologized for the massacre of the Blades and Hammerfell was allowed to rejoin the Empire. To everyone's dismay, the king even ordered the Justiciars to march with the Blades against Mordor and Nilfgaard. The elven king believed that anyone capable of wielding destruction magic should be used against the Dark Lords and their allies.

As the two Blades, Elboron and Rangers descended deeper into the Iron Prison, they were wary for any sign of movement or trap. Many grave robbers, thieves and adventurers had met their demise in the old citadel seeking gold, magical weapons and other priceless forbidden artifacts. Elboron and Eldarion themselves had nearly met their end in the castle had it not been for the timely intervention of Brianna Dovahkiir. However, the deeper they penetrated the bastion, the group did not meet any enemy resistance. Maius was surprised to find that Angband was empty. Looking at Elboron, the Noldorian elf threw up his hands in frustration.

"Elboron, this is a problem" Maius said. "Where are the orcs, Balrogs and more importantly where is the bloody dragon" he finished screaming. "There's nobody here!"

"How am I supposed to know" Elboron snapped. "My sentries did not report any movement."

"Perhaps, your sentries are blind" Maius growled, angry that the Enemy army had escaped undetected. Before Elboron could respond, a Ranger mentioned he had found something in the dungeons. They followed the Ranger and observed a massive lighted chasm that seemed endless. It was strange because it did not appear to be dug, but rather chewed. Maius could not fathom what kind of animal could do this.

"Wereworm" Elboron said with disgust in his voice. "The Enemy could be anywhere with one of those blasted creatures."

"We know Morgoth desires to attack Skyrim. Can one of these Wereworms go underneath the great ocean" Maius asked. "And how many leagues can one of them travel a day?"

"It's possible that they can cross under water, but unlikely. As to answer how far they can move, thousands of miles a day. The Iron Mountains end roughly two hundred miles from here near the coast. I fear Nilfgaard will have sent troop transports to ferry the orcs to Skyrim" Elboron answered as Adelaisa joined them.

"The armory is empty. Swords, bows, axes, armor, all of it is gone. Surely the Dark Lords would have the wisdom to leave a garrison to protect against prying eyes" Adelaisa reported, her eyes focusing on the massive hole. "By the Nine, that's a big cave!"

"Elboron, we must assume that the Enemy has advanced on Skyrim and we need to inform the Dragonborn. The first battle to determine the fate of the world will be fought somewhere in the north" Maius told the Ranger captain.

Elboron extended his hand and Maius shook it. 'I wish you all the luck in battle. A pity we cannot be of assistance. May the Valar bless you with victory."

"We're going to need it" Maius agreed as he opened a portal to Sky Haven Temple. He and Adelaisa found themselves before the Dragonborn, Daenerys, Kellian, Geralt, Ciri, Brianna and Jon Snow. They bowed in respect to the Dovahkiin.

"Maius, Adelaisa. Your return is unexpected. We did not expect you back for several days if not weeks" Brianna said concerned. "What prompted your sudden arrival?"