Chapter 11: Dark Entries

He wished he was dead....now.

Under the overhead lights with the sound of dripping water, he ran. The pain and deaths of his friends taunt him as he stops for a gasp of air. Their faces appeared in his vision, wanting revenge for their death.

The ground was uneven and concrete. Pictures passed by as he ran. Pictures of Catherine's childhood and newspaper about Mason's killings.

They were the same.

He needed to get away from the scene before Catherine changed her mind. She had to die, trap her in eternal hell.

That's when he found it, an ax. He quickly gripped the ax and carried it with him. He took in the scenery, the painted walls were chipping off and graffiti was spread out. There were different rooms that captured his eyes.

The medical room had a dentist and eye exam stations. The floor had paper scattered everywhere and x-rays. The mortuary gave him the creeps and had a rotten smell to it. The room had twenty-seven boxes and an autopsy table in the middle.

"Why isn't Catherine following?" Mason asked himself.

He turned the corner and was close to the elevator. The elevator sat in the back with the dimmest of light, it had metal sliding gates.  He got closer and closer, yet it felt so far away.

Before he managed to get on the elevator, the intercom turned on. It was his own voice taunting him from when admitted killing his friends. The intercom constantly played on loop and he busted through the elevator and pressed L1. He held his hands against his ears.

He made it.

The elevator came to a complete standstill and doors slid open. The lobby was quiet, nobody in sight. He roamed the floor, hunting for someone and had no luck. He could hear something trickling above, the sound was splashing against the floor and himself. He glanced up and dropped the ax.

What he noticed was the elderly nurse hammered into the ceiling. Her inside mouth was exposed and carved into a huge grin. Beside her were three others; Miss Dory and the two male who greeted Mason when he arrived months ago. All with the same signature look. It felt like he just got there.

He was next.

He didn't even have his belongings, especially his phone. Without hesitantly, he booked out the doors and took in the weather. The snowflakes were dancing their way to the already three inches of snow, the sidewalks were covered with salt, and the branches were covered in snow.

Before he took off he turned his head and smiled, the windows were fogged up and the building stood almost emptied. The time had come for him to leave, nothing in sight to hop in and take. That's when he saw headlights ahead, he swiftly raised his arms up and waved his hands in horror. This was his last hope to get away.

The Honda vehicle came to a complete stop. Inside the outline of the windows were flashing blue. The vehicle resembled a getaway car away from Catherine, yet it feels like they are much closer.

"Mason Woodard?" The driver asked. It was a mid aged man with a salt and pepper beard. His polo shirt was wrinkly and buttoned up.

"Yes sir," Mason spoke as he climbed in the backseat. It was heaven, snacks and a movie. He glanced down and there was his phone with a note attached to it.

'You aren't in the clear yet xoxo -RM'

"How aren't you freezing to death? It's colder than a two dollar bill out there."

Buzz. Buzz

12:32am from UNKNOWN NUMBER
I don't lurk in the shadows. I hide in plain sight XOXO

"Great," Mason mumbled under his breath and fastened his seatbelt and held his phone close to his chest. Nervous and fear formed in his chest, heart was racing fast, and palms were sweaty.

"You okay back there?" The driver asked as he kept his eyes on the road. "You look like you saw a ghost or something."

"Oh you have no idea," Mason said. He quickly typed in his passcode and tapped on the Uber app. The app told it all about him; Emilio, Gray Honda, one star and three trips. His eyes glanced down to the address it was taking him to Cora's house.

Strange, how did my phone get into this car? Mason asked himself under his breath. Is this a trap?

12:35 am To Cora
I'm on my way there. Coming in through the window

He stared out the window, glancing at the heavy snow cascade down. Dozens of the tree branches were covered in layers of snow. He couldn't glance at what had been his home for months. The thought of being drugged and been stuck into that ward sent chills down his spine and whole body felt numb.

Buzz.Buzz
He jumped from the vibration in his hand. Frightened to even look at the message. His heart rate was beating fast. It could've been anyone. He quickly did the passcode and glanced at the message. It was from Cora.

12:40am from Cora
Mason? You're out?

12:41am From Mason
Yes! I'll explain when I get there.

Who killed Aiden? was the other question that was on his mind. They were another creative murder. The way they left one body piece of Aiden blew his mind. Even though Aiden's head was decaying, he knew it was him.

His mind kept coming back to the elderly nurse and three others on the ceiling, jaws were absent and bodies were stapled to the ceiling. The drive to Cora was long and dead silence.

Emilio kept his eyes on the road. He pulled into a long spiral driveway, the heavy snow storm and sleet on the driveway made it difficult for him to drive up and had it kept trying to tumble over.

That's when, a figure showed up in front of the vehicle and lifted it up from the front and tipped it over. The vehicle tumbled over and over again. There was a bottle being held by the figure.

The figure patrolled over and dug Emilio out from the upside down vehicle. He had scars already from the wreck. The killer flipped him over and poured the liquid over his face. With one swift move, a bottle was shattered against his head and plowed through his eyeball.

In the distance, Mason caught a glimpse of smoke coming from Emilio's face and heard him screaming in pain. He slithered his way to the driver's side and crawled out. In one swift move, he kicked the killer in the head and gripped their neck in the front and banged their head against the muffler.

"Leave my friends and strangers alone!" Mason screamed and let go from their neck. He roamed up the driveway in the snow and headed to the two-story house. The abundance of snow plunged down made it tremendously wearying on his vision and legs.

He finally made it to her window. The window sat in the back. The lights were on and he could see Cora on her laptop. Mason pushed up on the window panel and climbed in.

"There was a wreck and I need to tell you my past," Mason said. His breathing was heavy and he could tell by the look on her face there was something more important.