Chapter 29 (2)

"Okay, these scans are going to take about one and a half hours and when we're done we can finally start with the real tests and experiments!", Dr. Brown said in a way too excited voice, his words sounding through the MRI room over the microphone. He was already sitting next door while another doctor, a younger man, maybe about 30 years old, had forced me on the MRI couch and tied my wrists and ankles down. I wouldn't even try running, on the way here i had seen about thirty doctors and nurses of different ages and as far as I knew I was the only test subject here, so i had no chance of getting away from here even if they wouldn't always shackle me.

When the male nurse who was with the doctor earlier had come into my room... or prison and took me to the scan rooms, I had hoped that seeing the lab outside of the room would help me in any way, maybe give me an idea of how I could run, but what i saw had just taken all my hopes away. The lab was huge, I probably wouldn't even find my way out and the floor that my room was on was so far underground that nobody would ever expect me here. There were security doors that only opened with fingerprints or codes that I couldn't see from where I was laying on the bed and too many people to get away without anybody noticing. It was hopeless and the realization of that left me drained. Drained of any will to fight, drained of any will to even live.

The doctor left the room, leaving me all by myself and I stared up at the ceiling, my eyes slightly blinded by the bright lights.

"Lay completely still or the scans will just take longer!", Dr. Browns voice came through the microphone in a very unfriendly tone and part of me wanted to say something against him, but the other part just complied. The couch was moved up a little before it slid into the MRI machine backwards and my breath hitched in my throat. The space was very narrow and when the motion finally stopped I turned my head to both sides to see the walls of the MRI right next to my face. Then the scan started and it was loud, so loud, the knocking sounds hurting in my ears. Panic rised in my head and it felt like the tube was closing in on me, swallowing me completely, my claustrophobia making its appearance. As on instinct I tried to cover my ears with my hands but of course they were tied down to the couch and a whimper escaped my lips as the fear inside of me just kept getting stronger and stronger. My breathing picked up and I felt myself being close to hyperventilating, desperately squirming around in hopes of escaping and getting out of the way too small space.

"He's not laying still", a female voice sounded through the room over the knocking sounds and a second later the machine seemed to stop and the couch was moved out. To my horror I realized that I had tears rolling down my cheeks, the panic that came with my claustrophobia making me forget about my surroundings. My breathing was still way too quick and I felt like my lungs didn't fill with enough air.

"Too small", I got out through gritted teeth and clenched my fists tightly, trying to calm myself down from the panic attack.

"Deep breath in, deep breath out", Greg's voice sounded through my head and I could almost feel his hand on my chest all those years ago. I've had those panic attacks quite a lot after our parents died, but it didn't happen in a long time. "C'mon Ni, you can do it" I tried to focus on his deep voice in my head, but there was just so much fear inside of me and I desperately pulled at the restraints that held back my limbs. A paper bag was placed over my mouth and nose and after breathing into that a few times it got better and I could feel some of the tension leaving my body. But as the panic left, the cruel truth also came back to me and I once again realized that there was absolutely nothing that I could do against the tests and experiments that those insane doctors and scientists would do with me. The fact that Dr. Jones, my doctor whom I had trusted with my life and also the lives of my kids then got a syringe from a tray and injected its liquid into the cannula in my hand, only made my helplessness much clearer. And although I hated that I didn't have any control over the things that happened, I also welcomed the numbness that came with whatever they had injected me with, the rest of the scans not feeling too scary as I was just empty inside.