The Big Bang

Around 13.8 billion years ago, the Universe was born in a colossal explosion known as the Big Bang, which produced matter and energy. The Universe formed in a tiny fraction of a second. Back then, it was very dense and incredibly hot. It grew and cooled, eventually making stars and galaxies.

Evolution of the universe
Scientists are not sure what triggered the Big Bang. But they can, however, trace the history of the Universe to a fraction of a second after the Big Bang. The energy released at this point formed the particles that became the building blocks of stars, planets, and galaxies.

The first atoms formed about 400,000 years after the Big Bang.
They were atoms of the gases hydrogen and helium.

The first stars formed around 200 million years after the Big Bang when gravity pulled clouds of hydrogen and helium into dense clumps.

Some very powerful telescopes have detected galaxies that formed around 500 million years after the Big Bang. These may have been some of the first galaxies and they may have looked like a pair of nearby galaxies.

The Universe is filled with radiation, some of which we can see as light. In the distant future, the Universe may be at a stage where all matter is locked up in black holes and burnt-out stars. Leaving space cold and with low-energy radiation.

When did the Milky Way form?
It appears that the first of the stars in the Milky Way galaxy was formed at about the time the "Dark Ages" ended, now believed to be 200 million years after the Big Bang.

When did the Solar System Form?
Over 9 billion years, planets grew out of the dusty disc, forming the Solar Power we see today.

How long after the Big Bang did light appear?
Between 240,000-300,000 years.

How long after the Big Bang did light appear?Between 240,000-300,000 years