Epilogue

Epilogue
Standing in the backyard of their new house, Nicole and Waverly said “I do” surrounded by friends. Cheers sounded with they were pronounced married. Congratulations and hugs seemed to go on forever. The newlyweds didn’t care. This was their day and they were going to cherish it after all they had been through over the past year. Nicole couldn’t handle living in either of their apartments. They wound up staying in a hotel until they could find a new place…together.  They needed a fresh start without all the reminders of what they'd had to go through. Nicole still had bouts with the idea of someone watching them. The nightmares had been worse though. They were finally, after a year and therapy, were becoming less frequent. They had found a little house in a nice neighborhood just outside town. It was an older house, one they spent hours remodeling. The downstairs was an open concept with a huge kitchen and living area for entertaining their friends. The upstairs had two bedrooms. One of which Wynonna had declared hers for when she drank too much and couldn’t drive home, which was becoming more frequent. They past year had been difficult for Nicole no matter how supportive Waverly had been. The physical therapy had been grueling. Nicole’s arm was scarred but had no real damage. Her leg was different situation. She did walk with a limp. She wasn’t able to run like she did which frustrated her to no end. The nightmares had left them emotionally exhausted. Waverly was finally able to convince Nicole to go to therapy. Since starting that, things had gotten better.
When their house was finished, they were giddy to finally have a place to call home. They settled in quickly and found their routine. One night Waverly came home to find candles lit and a nice dinner waiting. Not understanding the occasion, Waverly raised her eyebrow. “Did I miss our anniversary or something, babe?”
“No,” Nicole said taking her coat and briefcase and casting it on the floor. “Can’t I do something nice for you?”                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       “Yeah, of course. I just afraid I had missed something,” Waverly said pulling Nicole in for a kiss.
“Nope. You are good.” Nicole led her to the table and they sat down to enjoy their dinner. After dinner, Nicole turned on the stereo and asked Waverly to dance. “Wow, Dr. Haught, you are really working it tonight,” Waverly said running her fingers around the back of Nicole’s neck playing the hair there. “Well, I aim to please,” she smiled. They held one another and swayed to the music enjoying the fell of their bodies close. “Hey, Waves?”                                                                                                                                     “Hmmm?”
“Ummmm,” Nicole pulled back and looked at her girlfriend. Waverly could tell the red head was nervous but had no idea as to why. “What’s wrong, babe?” Waverly could now feel Nicole shaking and hear her breath come quick and shallow. “Babe, what is it?” Taking a deep breath, Nicole reached into her pocket and bent down on one knee. Waverly’s eye’s seemed to bulge in shock. Oh my God! This is really happening! She thought. “Waverly Earp, we have been through hell this past year. But through all of it, you were there, by my side, my rock. I want to be there for you just the same, for the rest of our lives. Waves, you are my everything, my best friend, my lover, my soulmate. I want to wake up beside you every morning. I want to do everything with you. I want to grow old with you, have a family with you. Waverly Earp, will you marry me?”
Waverly stood unmoving for a brief a second, then she grabbed Nicole’s face and pulled her up placing a kiss on her lips before she even managed to stand. “So is that a yes?” Nicole smiled pulling away to catch her breath. “YES! Yes, Nicole Rayleigh Haught, I will marry you and have a family with you and grow old with you! I really, really love you!” Smiling, the two collapsed on the sofa and made love well into the night.