V.

"Erikson's theory of psychosocial development

"Erikson's theory of psychosocial development...adolescence. There is a stage when teenagers from ages twelve to eighteen start to explore and develop a sense of self and role in society," I muttered as I read through my textbook. "This stage is also known as identity versus role confusion. Finding that sense of identity revolves around the experiences of the individual, such as relationships and values. During this time, teenagers explore different lifestyles and new identities for themselves. If unable to explore their sense of self, the adolescent finds themselves unsure of their place in society. This can lead to poor mental health and well-being, lack of self-confidence, and difficulties with commitment. Overall, succeeding this stage will earn you the virtue of fidelity, or faithfulness...Eh, I can see it."

I wrote down the notes that would help me with the project and sighed, absorbing what I learned on my bed.

I tried to psycho-analyze myself for a moment. I was trying really hard to be the 'New Maria', one who was calmer and stayed away from trouble. More polite and patient. The 'Old Maria' was more reckless, didn't really think about the consequences while doing her own vigilante justice.

Did I replace one identity with another? Yes. But was I even happy with the identity I had now? Would I become something else as I get more experience? From what relationships? I hardly talked to anyone here, much less anyone back in Arizona. If I always stayed away from danger and played the invisible card, would I ever reach my full potential? Was I at my full peak and confident in myself? Then why did it not feel like me?

I blinked and pushed my notes away.

"Uh, that's too much thinking for me. And depressing. We are done learning and spiraling for the day." I muttered as my phone rang. I grabbed the device and saw that it was Mom.

"Hey, Mama." I greeted, sitting up and hugging a pillow closer to me.

"Hi, Sweetheart. I just wanted to let you know that I will be back late. You can go ahead and order some takeout. I have some cash in the jar, you know where it is," Mom said on the phone. I could vaguely hear her typing from the other side. "There's a late meeting that I need to stay for. And I want to get some work done so I can leave early on Friday. We can do some mother-daughter bonding."

"Do you need me to get you dinner?" I asked, trying to figure out what sounded good for dinner while I binged watched something on Netflix.

"If you could, that would be wonderful. Can you drop off something in an hour or so? The meeting starts a little before then."

"Okay, see you then." I said and hung up the phone.

I went to the kitchen and rummaged through the drawers to find one of the Chinese take out menus. It was on the edge of the city and close to the building Mom worked in. I had never been but knew the general area of where Mom worked.

I winced slightly when I couldn't remember the name of the company– or even what they did.

I really needed to pay more attention. I'll just figure it out once I get there.