XI.

I shouldn't have left her

The thought kept pounding in my head as we stopped at the familiar large gate. Damon talked to our security while I watched Maria, who looked out the window with her arms wrapped around herself. The slight redness around Maria's neck told me all I needed to know. Someone tried to fucking choke her and I left her alone.

It had been easy moving through the halls and dodging security. While it took Damon and I awhile to find the office, we were able to pick the lock within twenty minutes. Using the flashdrive given to us by my father, we downloaded everything from the main computer. I told Damon to find Maria while I rummaged through the office for any other paperwork. I found multiple files in a secret compartment under the desk when I heard some shouts outside. I gathered as many files as I could and ran out to meet them in the car.

The files I stole felt like they weighed a hundred pounds on my lap as we passed through the gate. I briefly rubbed my cheek, which still stung from Maria's slap. For the first time in a long time, I felt helpless about what to do. I always believed in having a backup plan for every situation, but I didn't foresee an event where Maria would get attacked tonight. Why did she get hurt tonight? Damon only told me what he witnessed, but we had no other information. Maria didn't seem very forthcoming as she glared at the scenery.

The glare melted when the view of my house appeared, leaving Maria to gape at the large mansion that I resided in the last five years. It was a modern styled home, with a large garden landscape to bring life to the property. My father and I worked hard on the garden, knowing it was something that Mom would have loved. While we had some staff maintain it, it was Dad and I that picked out and planted the flowers ourselves. My heart panged and I quickly shoved the emotion away as Damon parked the car.

Maria tried to open the door, ready to escape when she couldn't push on the door. She glared at Damon with annoyance.

"Child-safety lock? Seriously?" Maria gritted out, her face turning red.

Damon just gave her a shrug, looking unaffected as he got out of the car, leaving me with her wrath.

"To be fair, this side doesn't have the lock on and you got out that way at the party." I tried to placate, but she looked ready to slap me again, so I just gave her a weak smile. Based on her eye twitch, it wasn't earning me any points. I sighed, gathering the files as Damon got her door open. Maria climbed out instantly, taking in her new surroundings.

I waved at one of our staff, greeting them and asking them to get my dad and a medic. I gave Damon the files and gently grabbed Maria's wrist. She startled at the contact, but she didn't pull away when I guided her inside.

My home was very different compared to Garrett's, lacking the sparkling chandelier and expensive artifacts. The large modern-styled entryway had warm neutral tones, covered in pictures and family portraits.