VII.

The weekend came and went

The weekend came and went. And unfortunately, my truck was still not ready.

Mom about had a heart attack when she saw all the missed calls on her phone. I was given a huge pile of food for my forgiveness. I had still been a bit miffed with her, but I forgave her right away. Though I did warn her that I would bring this up whenever I did something wrong, which caused Mom to roll her eyes.

However, I was truckless. I debated getting Garrett to pick me up, but I didn't want to inconvenience him. And believe it or not, I didn't want to be a jerk to Xavier who was going out of his way to get me today.

But I was sorely tempted to be when my phone kept going off nonstop all morning. Xavier had been texting me since six o'clock this morning, sending me a countdown on when he would arrive. And I mean he texted me every five minutes. I tried texting him to stop, but he ignored me.

By the time he pulled into my driveway, I was ready to give him a piece of my mind. Mom already left for work, so she didn't get to witness any crimes that would be committed.

I wasn't surprised to see Damon in the passenger seat, leaning against his seat with his eyes closed. Xavier was smiling at me innocently as I threw the car door open and got inside.

"I take it you're not a morning person?" Xavier chirped when I glared daggers at him.

"I don't feel very peppy when someone keeps badgering me early in the morning," I started, wrapping my red scarf tighter around my neck. "You're lucky I'm too tired to punch you."

Along with my scarf, I decided on wearing a dark green sweater with leggings pulled together with a black jacket. One thing I definitely missed about Arizona was the warmer weather in the fall.

Why in the world is it forty degrees right now?

Xavier only blinked innocently at me through the rearview mirror. "Well, then you probably don't want me to stop and buy us coffee and donuts before school. It was going to be my treat, but–"

Any berating that I was going to give him left my mind at the offer of breakfast. My stomach started rumbling at the thought.

"Wait, let's not be too hasty. You owe me a coffee and chocolate donut for pestering me all morning."

Damon grunted in what I believed was agreement, keeping his eyes shut.

"Hey! I don't like being ganged up on. And for the record, I kept texting you so you wouldn't forget and find another way to get to school."

"You mean guilt tripping me?" I raised a brow as Xavier focused on the road.

"Did it work?"

...No.

"Just give me food and I'll forgive you." I stated, not bothering to deny it. By the twitch on the corner of Xavier's mouth, he knew he won that round.

A few minutes later, Xavier was pulling into a drive thru and started ordering something for him and Damon. He didn't ask what Damon wanted, which told me how close they were.