III.

Monday was the worst day of the week

Monday was the worst day of the week. Everyone knew that, so why did Mondays exist? The person who invented it is probably laughing it up in hell.

I sat in my psychology class staring at the clock, ready to go home.

I spent all weekend watching crime shows with Mom, catching up with school and work. I didn't mention my weird encounter with Xavier at the party, if you even counted that as one.

Xavier and I waved to each other, so what? We greeted each other and all the sudden we knew each other? Were we best friends? Hell no. I don't know why I was making a big deal out of nothing.

If only the rest of my brain caught the memo.

It was great getting to spend time with my mom. She'd been busy with her new job. She seemed to like it so far and enjoyed making friends with her coworkers, which I was very happy about. I did miss talking to her, so I was happy to have her attention for a while. We cooked together, made jokes with each other, and I did homework on the side. It was just what I needed until I had to wake up and drag my ass to school.

Stupid ass Monday.

The teacher snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Now that we've gone over the requirements for the project, I will assign you partners. Let's see..."

My eyes widened in panic as Mr. Sanchez started reading off a list of names. A project? I zoned out longer than I thought. I looked down and saw a piece of paper in front of me. He must have passed them out earlier. I grabbed the paper, quickly skimming it. It was a research project that required an essay and a presentation from an assigned topic. I sighed internally. I didn't really know anyone in the class and with my luck, I will get stuck with some lazy ass–

"Maria, you will be working with Damon on Erikson's stages of Psychosocial Development, specifically adolescence to middle adulthood."

Just my luck.

Mr. Sanchez continued reading his list of names before telling us to meet with our partners. "While we'll work on some of it in class, this is an outside assignment. Make sure you get your partner's information to figure out how you want to do your project. Everyone, break."

Classmates started getting up and moving. Reluctantly, I turned around where Damon conveniently sat a few desks behind me. He was slumped in his chair, waving his pencil lazily. Once he saw that I was staring, he used his pencil to gesture to the empty seat next to him. Slowly, I gathered my things and walked toward him.

"Why hello there?" I drawled as I sat in the offered seat. Damon said nothing, seeming busy writing something down in his notebook. I sat there for a few minutes, waiting for him to say something. After a while, I waved in his direction.

"Hello?....Hello?"

Nothing.

I internally snorted. This better not be a "scowling bad boy" bit, because I wasn't having it. The bell rang and everyone started to leave. Damon gathered his things and my right eye twitched at the lack of communication. Before I could say something, Damon ripped out a piece of paper from his notebook and gave it to me with a nod. As he left, I read the piece of paper: