I.

Present day

Present day

"Son of a bitch!" I cursed as I pushed my alarm clock off my dresser. A loud clang followed, but I ignored it.

"Shit. Shit. Shit!"

I haven't even started my first day of school and I'm going to be late.

Shoving the bed covers away, I scrambled around in my new room, roughly shoving boxes. I cursed as one of my towers fell to the ground, clothes spewing everywhere.

"Great, just great," I muttered as I grabbed the first articles of clothing I could grab, which was a pair of ripped jeans and an old white v-neck. I did a weird dance in an attempt to get myself dressed, throwing on my brown leather jacket with combat boots. Since it was the middle of October, I wrapped the red scarf that my mom bought me around my neck. After wrapping my red hair in a messy bun, I grabbed my backpack and took a quick glance in the mirror.

"New place, new you." I muttered to myself, hoping I sounded more confident than I felt. Nodding to my mirror self, I went down to the kitchen.

"Morning, Sweetheart," my mother sang as she made breakfast. "Want some pancakes? I added chocolate chips to celebrate your first day."

My mother was absolutely beautiful. I was almost a mirror image of her with fiery red hair and hazel eyes. I also, fortunately or unfortunately, had her feisty attitude.

It was a blessing and a curse.

I would go through the deepest pits of hell for that woman. Lila Blanchard gave birth to me at nineteen after a one-night stand that went wrong. I never met my father and to be honest, I didn't care. There was only one parent that raised and loved me– it sure as hell wasn't my sperm donor.

When her family kicked her out for having a child out of wedlock, Mom raised me on her own, taking multiple jobs and online classes to get her degree. A few weeks ago, she got a job in New York City as an assistant, getting paid above minimum wage. Though Mom was hesitant to leave Arizona, I didn't hesitate to push her into accepting the job. Not only would it make my mother happy, but it gave me the perfect opportunity to escape the shit I got myself into in our small town.

There we were, settling into our new apartment complex a little outside the city.

"I'll take it to go! School starts in ten minutes! Why didn't you wake me?!" I cried out and my mother lazily glanced at the clock.

"Didn't you say last night 'I can wake up my own ass'?" Mom said, trying to imitate my voice. I scowled at her as I grabbed my car keys. I barely caught the container of pancakes Mom tossed me, proving that she knew I wouldn't be able to wake up on time.

"You know I didn't mean it. I got to get to school– I want to make a somewhat good impression. I love you!" I shouted as I ran out the door.

"Stay out of trouble!" Mom shouted as I closed the door, hoping that she didn't see my cringing.