༅ 20. Man Of Marigold

Under the Light, Part 3: Man of Marigold

Year 844

Vanya and Erwin felt the carriage jerk to a halt. They broke from each other's gaze and peered out the window.

"We've arrived at a flower shop," Erwin announced, standing up from his seat, and opened the door. "I'll buy you the flowers."

"Can I come with you?" Vanya asked cheerfully from inside as she watched him step out onto the grassy path.

Erwin pondered for a moment, looking around and checking to see if her wheelchair was still securely strapped to the back of the carriage. When he saw that it was still there, he turned to her.

"I don't see why not," he replied amiably.

"Great! Okay, uhmm..." Vanya awkwardly shifted her eyes from her lap to the door.

The thing was, she didn't know how to alight the carriage. It took two people to carry Vanya into the transportation after she attempted getting in on her own only for the uncomfortable tingle in her legs to be unbearable that Nurse Maya decided to call for help.

Erwin noticed her dilemma as realization struck his features. "One moment," he signalled for her to wait before he disappeared.

The carriage slightly shook from the back and Vanya guessed that the man retrieved her wheelchair. Erwin finally reappeared at the door moments after with the wheelchair in front of him.

"Come now," he ushered, stepping back into the carriage again. "I'll carry you," he bent forward closer to her until they were so close, the woman thought their foreheads would bump.

Vanya's eyes widened and recoiled backwards at their proximity. "I don't think you can, I might be heavy."

"Vanya, I do recall that you happen to be a foot smaller than I am. Carrying you would be the least of my worries."

"Hey!" she exclaimed while feigning an insulted look. "Bringing up one's height isn't the nicest thing to say to a lady."

Erwin stifled a laugh. "I'm sorry, I couldn't help it. Just trust me and let me carry you if you so badly want to accompany me."

She uttered a frustrated groan before giving up, "Fine, just don't complain once you realize I weigh a ton."

"I wouldn't imagine that," Erwin smiled before slipping his one hand under her skirt-covered legs and another on her back. Instinctively, Vanya moved her face away the more his head drew closer to hers. "Ready?" he asked once he finished positioning himself, ready to lift her. There was barely any space between the two of them.

Vanya fumbled, looking away. "Y-yeah..." She'd rather die than have Erwin catch a glimpse of her blushing face.

Apparently, carrying Vanya was like carrying a sack of feathers -- the woman weighed like air. When Erwin lifted her from her seat, it felt too easy and smooth that Vanya even wondered if he was even exerting any effort.

Erwin carried her in his strong arms the way a man would cradle someone so dear close to his chest. Vanya's small body shrunk even further, almost curling in timidity as her cheek pressed against his broad shoulder. She never knew how tiny she was as compared to his tall and muscular stature, accompanied with his years of strenuous physical training in the merciless military. She held her breath, clenched her fists, and focused on the buttons of his coat as the man carefully brought her out of the carriage and into the fresh, and breezy atmosphere of the outside.