༅ 9. When Fate Reunites Them

Life in the Underground, Part 3: When Fate Reunites Them

Year 841

Vanya carefully wrapped the new born baby girl with a warm blanket after finishing washing off the blood and cutting off the umbilical cord. Her cries after coming out from her mother's womb had already subsided, leaving the baby in a deep slumber in Vanya's arms.

"Here you go, sir." Vanya smiled as she handed the baby to the man who was anxiously waiting behind her.

"Oh! Ummm.. thank you..." The man stammered as he hesitantly raised his arms to the child, only to draw his arms back quickly.

"Well... you see... I kinda.... don't know how to hold a baby..."

Vanya blinked a few times at the father of the child she was holding before she gave an understanding look.

"That's perfectly fine," She chuckled, making the father sigh in relief. "I believe she is your first, am I right?"

The father nodded sheepishly. "Yes, I'm quite nervous. I'm still new to this whole fatherhood thing."

"I have faith you'll get used to it in no time." She said reassuringly as she walked over to him. "Now, I'll teach you how to hold her. How about you fold your arms in front of you?"

The father complied, folding his arms to his chest as if he was cradling something invisible. Vanya then gingerly laid the baby in his arms, ignoring the nervous whimpers from the father's lips.

"Now, just use that hand to support her head and neck."

She observed as the man precariously slid his hand underneath his daughter's tiny head. When it looked like the baby was securely snuggled in his arms, Vanya slowly removed her arms that were supporting his and stepped back to assess.

"That's better..." She breathed, taking in the sight of the father who looked awestruck as he gazed at his child lovingly. She felt a painful memory stir inside of her but she ignored it. "See? That wasn't so bad."

"Yeah..." The father mumbled, a smile started peeking on his face as it dawned on him how beautiful his daughter was.

"What will be her name?"

"Angeline," The father smiled kindly at her. "My wife insisted on it."

"That's a lovely name." Vanya said as she fondly gazed at the man who looked like he had fallen in love with the tiny creature in his arms. She wondered if her own father looked the same when she was newly born. Or if her father was even there when she was born

"I should go check up on your wife before I take my leave." She uttered a bit too quickly, wanting to shy away from any thoughts related to her father who still hasn't returned after 3 years.

"Yes, please do," The father led Vanya to the small bedroom and as they entered, they were greeted by the sight of a woman lying on her bed with eyes closed and her chest breathing deeply. She still had beads of sweat on her face from her labor and she looked so worn out that it seemed it was impossible to wake her up.

"Oh my, I'm afraid she's too exhausted, how will you tell her the things she needs to know?" The father frowned.

"It's fine, Mr. Brown, I'll just tell you and you'll just have to orient her when she wakes up."

"Please, just call me Aaron."

"Okay then, Aaron," Vanya smiled before reaching into her bag and pulled out a small pouch. "Now, listen carefully, the postpartum period will be very difficult, I'm afraid. She'll be experiencing a lot of mood swings, anxiety, difficulty in sleeping, and even depression due to hormonal imbalances -- that's normal."