stranded (part five)

I slept all night in Chris's arms. Nightmares did not interrupt my sleep like they sometimes would, and my eyes remained closed and serene throughout the entire night until the resplendent sun rose. It hung in the lapis sky, clear and new.

My head didn't feel as bright and sunny, though.

I squeezed the palms of my hands on either side of my face. I moaned and slowly got up, my eyes squinting. The sun was brutal.

Chris was still sound asleep. All the men on that island slept like babies. Why was I the only one that experienced any torment in her dreams? He stirred and cuddled closer to me, laying a tan, sandy arm on my lap. He must've gone back to his modest hut in the middle of the night. His black and red flannel had been laid on my curled, naked body. I caressed his arm with my fingertips and his sleeping face smiled.

"I think it's best I go," I whispered.

"Not just yet," he buried his head closer to my chest as he pulled me into him. "Please."

"Such manners." I melted back into him. "Your mum taught you well."

He rustled my already messy hair and kissed my forehead. How was it that I never even knew this amount of tenderness could come from just one man? I knew he cared for us all, even when he was unbearably quiet and antisocial. I guess I always thought he felt guilty. He got his pilot certification on a whim. He always loved cars and motorcycles, why not go for airplanes, too?

None of us ever thought that what started as an adventure island-hopping in the Pacific would get us here. Stranded.

***

I found Ben sitting on the shore close to our tent. I stayed with Chris longer than I should have. His touch and pleas were so irresistible. We had our fun one more time. In my tide pool, together, water splashing all around us and in our faces.

"Where have you been?"

His tone was calm, a little detached. He must have slept in. He scratched at his beard and motioned me over to sit on his lap. I lowered myself onto him as he bid but I didn't look into his eyes.

"I was roaming. Thinking."

"I'm sorry," he pouted. "You need a good washing."

"Ugh!"

I play-smacked his face and shoved him onto the sand and pinned him beneath me. He bellowed with laughter under my weight and tickled my sides.

"Stop," I cried. "Not there! No! Ahhhh!"

He knew exactly where to tickle me and I leapt off of him, breathless. His hands were still determined to get me. I squirmed away giggling and he got hold of my ankles and pulled me toward him.

"No!"

When his hands got hold of my thighs, he rolled me over and gave my ass a loud, hard smack. We both laughed, play-fighting as I tried kicking him off me and he tried to smack my ass again.

"Enough, okay," he yelled, out of breath. "Look how gorgeous it is! Let's go for a swim."

He was right. There wasn't a cloud in the sky. The breeze coming from the ocean was velvety and flirty. He took my hand and we ran to the waves, flinging our clothes onto the sand behind us before totally emerging in the cool, tingling water.

***

Once Ben and I were dry after laying under the sun, we went back into our tent to relax. I put on the only dress I had. The hem was fraying and one of the straps kept falling off my shoulder but it still made me feel pretty.

Ben smiled and put his arms around me. "I'm so glad you're back."

The sun. The other two men on the island. The waves. The pull of fear and longing and uncertainty. It was all too much. It was hard to remember that Ben had been the one to save my life just the other day. I owed him my life.

I started to cry and he turned me around for a hug. I could swim in his hugs, they were that good. They felt like a blanket. We didn't have any blankets at all, yet he provided me the same comfort for so many nights.

"I love you," I sighed.

"I'm yours, babe," he hugged me tighter and ran his hands up to my shoulders, making me shiver.

***

I was re-reading one of a few books I had with me. When my feelings flooded my soul, and I got to the point of numbness, Ben would reach into my backpack and hand me a book. He was napping next to me in the tent. I could see a shadowy figure approaching us. The glow of the setting sun behind it made it seem menacing, but I knew not to fear it.

I set my book down and crawled out of the tent.

"Hello," Chris greeted.

"Hi," I sheepishly managed.

His eyes scanned down my body and back up again. I recalled that moment in the tide pool when he lifted my body up and I laced my legs around him. His soft grunts in my ear and the strength of his hold on me. His radio was playing another dance tune next to us. We were dancing in our own way to a lingering beat inside our heads, though. Every thump, every dip, getting deeper and deeper.

He used his finger to delicately place the loose strap of my dress back on my shoulder. My skin burned a little in response to his touch. He cleared his throat and put his hands on his hips, adjusting the waist of his shorts.

"I need Ben's help. I was able to get about ten coconuts off the tree down the shore from my hut. I need him to help me bust them all open."

I nodded. Before I turned to wake Ben up, Chris took my hand and rubbed his thumb on the back of it. I shut my eyes, squeezed his hand tight and then let go.

***

I was getting hungry, and neither Ben nor Chris had come back yet. Cracking open coconuts with what little tools we had could be a real chore. The white, sweet meat inside was precious to us. It was worth the wait, truly, but I was feeling lonely again. Being hungry and feeling lonely made my breath hitch in an uneasy way. I sighed and fought with myself. I knew where I wanted to go. I knew who I wanted to turn to in that moment. Whose eyes I yearned to get lost and swept away in.

I told myself I would just go there to check on him. Just to see if he was all right. To make sure his nose was healing. To make sure he didn't hate me.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊
Dan's cave is next!
I promise! 
I am very fond of anticipation ;)
xo,
Leanne