the new girl

for ArinArda

time/location: mid 90sish/high school

Today was my first day at a new school. Newcastle High School.

I had no freaking clue how my dad got a job offer on the other side of the planet. I didn't know how I was gonna fit in with a bunch of beach kids that surfed all day and raged all night.

I didn't need anyone thinking I was the outgoing type. I just wanted to wallow in a corner with my books in my lap, my headphones on, a flannel tied around my waist and my black-as-night sunglasses on.

Which is precisely what I did on my first day. It was my clever way of insinuating that I didn't want to be bothered. So, like, why did this boy with super long dark hair even approach me? Also, in what universe is it even fair that a boy has hair that shiny and long?

"Hi," he said. His dark brown eyes peeked over at my open book. I shut it before looking up at him. I did slide my headphones down, though.

He shrugged, and as he spoke his words streamed out effortlessly. "I see. A quiet one."

I tried not to, but I pouted at him.

"And a little weird, too. I know someone that's gonna really enjoy your company."

What was this annoying, yet very adorable, doofus talking about?

"It's okay. Don't say a word. Just sit there like you are."

He turned and ran off. I rolled my eyes and opened my book, running my fingers over the passage I had just read before I was pounced upon. It wasn't too long before my reading was interrupted again by the squeak of shoes against the hallway's glossy floor.

"Just look at her."

There he was again. The adorable long-haired doofus. Only this time there was a boy next to him. His hair looked like it was growing out from a buzz-cut and his eyes were brown, sweet and very amused.

"I shouldn't have doubted you, Ben," he said. "She's just as you described her."

As much as I wanted to get up off the floor and tell the two of them to get lost, I felt like staying quiet and playing along some more. I brought my legs out in front of me and changed positions, getting more comfortable.

"She's really something, isn't she, Chris?" Ben grinned and Chris tipped his head in agreement.

"Ah," Chris rubbed his hands together, "there he is. Oh, Daniel, there's someone here we'd like you to meet."

Daniel--the epitome of awkward and angelic. My brain had a very hard time processing what it was seeing.

He met his friends, gravitating to a spot in between Ben and Chris, with his eyes searching the ceiling and his fingers scratching his flushed cheek.

"Oh, uhm, okay," he managed to pull out from somewhere. Speaking seemed like an afterthought to him.

He looked a little sleepy, too, or pensive, I couldn't really tell, and his blue eyes flickered a tad when he saw the book in my hands.

My back stiffened, and I propped my sunglasses on top of my head to have a better look at him.

I don't know how long Daniel and I locked eyes with one another before Ben coughed, breaking the spell between us.

"Well, we'll leave you two kids alone. C'mon, Chris. I've got to copy some maths from you before class starts."

Ben gave Daniel a little shove before turning away. They rolled their eyes at the angel boy before walking down the hall to their lockers.

"Isn't that the one with the monster in it?" Daniel pointed at my book. His words ran together at first but then they slowed down. "The one with wings, but he's too afraid to fly, so the human boy helps him every night after school?"

It took me a moment to find my voice, but I got up from the floor, somehow, and nodded my head. We both smiled at each other and looked away before talking about the story some more.

That was the first and last day I ever sat alone in a corner.