329 10 19

For dearest_helpless

A mildly steamy Daniel imagine set in 1997.
I may have went a little interstellar. Hope you don't mind!
;)

Ready for blast off?

"Em!"

I could hear the boys call for me outside of the bathroom. They were being as respectful as they could be at first. I was taking too long and they were getting antsy. I could hear their muffled voices behind the door.

"We've got to get out there in a couple minutes. What should we do?" Chris asked. I didn't have to see him to know he was biting his lips and looking down at the ground.

Somehow I had supersonic hearing whenever my nerves got the best of me. As if all else broke away and I became hyper aware of what was within a 5 foot diameter.

Ben rattled his drumsticks against the door. "I reckon she has some sort of lady issue. Maybe we should slip her a note under the door."

"And what," Daniel asked, "tell her to check the box 'yes' or 'no' if her crimson wave has come to shore?"

That was pretty funny, but I couldn't even laugh. That's how frozen in fear I was. The boys didn't really rehearse that much. It was starting to hit me how unprepared I actually was. I was about to hit the stage and play guitar with silverchair.

S-i-l-v-e-r-c-h-a-i-r!

What the freak? I was absolutely crazy to agree to this. They needed an extra guitar to round them out and slap on some more flesh to their new Freak Show tracks, but I was swimming without floaties in the middle of the ocean.

"Nah," Chris spoke up again. "It's not anything like that."

"How do you know?" Daniel sounded very curious.

"I'm not going to stand here and give you and Ben a tutorial on teen girls. I don't have time for this."

I could sense their frustration and worry through the door. It seeped through like the smell of a mosh pit during an encore performance. My heart was doing somersaults and hurling in my chest, but I also couldn't let them down. I unlocked the door and opened it.

"Thank God," Daniel breathed. I took a double-take at his eyes because they seemed particularly relieved. He quickly snatched his gaze away from mine, though.

"Sorry, boys." I shrugged.

"Are you alright?" Ben slid his drumsticks into his back pocket and put his arm around my shoulders. "What does our sweet Em need?"

He looked at his watch. "You have precisely 1 minute and 34 seconds to tell me."

I tensed up and closed my eyes. "I'm nervous, okay?"

"Well," Chris grinned. "We figured that."

Daniel's face glitched at the sight of Ben's arm around my shoulder. He shook his head and pressed his palms together in front of him before he spoke. "May I speak with you outside?"

"We have milliseconds to get on stage," Chris said.

"Yeah, I know. Just give Em and I one minute."

He took my hand and led us to the exit down the dimly lit hallway of the venue. Once we were outside, I didn't even have any time to take in the stars above our heads or how the night air brushed my skin because Daniel shoved me against the building.

I lost my footing for a second because I was thrown askew by his body against mine. I thought he was upset with me. It happened so fast. I was expecting him to say something like, Em, get your sh*t together, even though I knew he would never say anything like that to me. I have known him and the boys since we were babies. Our mums went to school together and so did we. Always wrapped up in each other's lives since day one.

He placed his hands firmly on my arms to steady me against the wall. Before I knew it his lips were on mine. It was all too much. My anxiety about the show turned into shock and then that shock dissipated into something I had never felt before.

It was similar to catching my first wave or having someone I really love share a knowing smile with me from across the room. Only my heart and something deeper within me began swimming in the feeling, too. No, floating in the feeling.

I felt like I was floating in the stars. I've been kissed before, yeah, but never like this.

Daniel pulled away from my face. My arms were around him by then, and I couldn't tell if he was shivering because of the breeze or me. It couldn't be me.

He let out a breath against my cheek. "I've wanted to do that for so long."

He bowed his head forward and his hair swept against my ear. He held me close before breaking away again.

I just stood there. My brain was all fuzzy at the edges.

"Well," he nudged my arm with his elbow. "Do you feel nervous anymore?"

I couldn't even compute what I was feeling. I managed to shake my head somehow.

His smile, the most delightful I had seen my entire life thus far, reached from ear to ear and he whispered in my ear, "There's more of that for after the show, okay, Em?"

Once we were back inside the venue, Chris and Ben jerked their heads towards us. I scanned their faces and bodies to see if somehow they would know what had just happened outside. Like some sort of teen rockstar state of the art pash detection or something.

The shove.
His lips.
Our kiss.
The shivering.

The whispering in my ear.

I was still glowing from it. Radiating.

Nope. They just rolled their eyes and gestured for us to hurry up. We could hear the assistant stage manager bellowing down the hall from the stage entrance, "The crowd's roaring! C'mon!"

That they were. I was slammed with bright lights overhead and the ear-numbing cries and wails from the audience. I came out first and as soon as the last of us, Daniel, walked on stage it felt as if a rocket was launching inside the venue.

The temperature changed. The atoms in the air caught on fire and everything was tingling all over. We weren't on Earth anymore. Before Daniel took his place in front of his microphone and was handed his guitar, he locked his eyes with mine. Those two blue planets met my green ones. Planets collided. Stars fell or combusted or whatever it is that stars did in the dark.

I could have melted on the spot, but my hands found their strength again and readied my guitar for impact. I just knew we were going to rock so hard. Just as hard as our kiss under the stars.

💋🚀🤘

In case anyone doesn't know what a pash is, it's a tongue kiss in Aussie.
Yeah. You're welcome. 

Please vote, comment, and share with fangirl friends.
Most importantly, listen to the 'chair.