23. The Godseeker

"Uhhhhmmmm... sir. Hey. You awake?"

The Pale King felt himself getting shaken awake by someone. His eyes fluttered open, and he looked up at them.

"What's..." he rubbed his eyes, looking around. He immediately recognized the Hollow Knight, disguised, in front of him, and the other vessel was leaning against them. Hornet was lying against the wall as well, her eyes shut in a peaceful sleep.

"You're not allowed to be here." The man looking at him from above said. "I mean, I get it, if you've been kicked out of your apartment after whatever happened over there, but I can't let you stay here."

PK looked over at Hornet, and then back up at the man. "Of course, I'm sorry. We'll be gone in ten minutes tops."

He nods. "Okay. I'll be back to make sure you're gone."

"That's fine." The man turns and walks back into the door to PK's right. immediately, he stands up and walks over to tap Hornet's shoulder. She stirs.

"Ugh..." she groans, her eyes prying themselves open. "What... what happened?"

"You fell asleep." The Pale King says. "And... so did the Hollow Knight. Didn't think they could to be honest but--" he shakes his head. "You seemed so tired, so I didn't wake you."

Hornet stared at him. "You... You're damn lucky we weren't found."

"Yeah, well-- yeah." He says, deciding against telling her about the guy who woke him. He holds out his hand and Hornet takes it, standing up.

"We need to get you a disguise." She mutters. "My apartment is pretty far away, but we can get there in probably an hour if we hurry."

He nods. Hornet walks over to wake up both of the vessels, and as they stand up, she looks back at the Pale King. "You're still wearing that hospital getup."

He looks down at himself. "It's not that bad."

"Yes it is. You look like an escapee-- which you are, but that's--" she huffs, and looks to the Hollow Knight. "Maybe you could carry him?"

"What?" PK asks, furrowing his eyebrows.

"I was thinking that Hollow could hide you in their jacket." she says. "Then you'd just look like their stomach."

His mouth is slightly ajar. "Uhm, I don't think so."

Hornet rolls her eyes. "Hollow, pick him up."

"No, I don't--" PK feels the Hollow Knight pick him up effortlessly and cradle him at his chest. "This is not..."

"Yes, we're doing that." she says. "You don't even need to walk. Stop complaining."

He looks over at her, his eyes narrowed. He doesn't say anything, and Hollow goes to zip up the jacket. When the zipper is up, they cradle the mass at their stomach like a baby. Hornet hears him grumble.

"I don't condone this." he mutters. His daughter smiles, and looks up at Hollow and then down at Ghost.

"Follow me and keep yourselves looking inconspicuous." She whispers, gesturing for her siblings to follow her into the street. Hornet weaves easily through the crowd, and Ghost is at her heels, but the Hollow Knight is falling behind. His sister continually looks back at them, but they keep moving further and further back. After walking a few blocks, Hornet turns into an empty alleyway and waits for the Hollow Knight to catch up.

"You having trouble with this?" Hornet asks as they turn in. Hollow shakes their head, but their jacket starts to move. She sees one pale hand reach out of Hollow's jacket, and start to grasp at the zipper. Hornet walks forward and zips down the jacket. The Pale King gasps for breath and moves his legs to jump down onto the ground.