Old, New, Borrowed, Blue

Ship: Knellis (Keith x Nick X Ellis)

Title taken from an old saying :)

~~~

Nick couldn't believe it. He really couldn't. Somehow, through the end of the world and rebirth of society, it was okay. It had lived through so much. Wars, colonization, and now it carried the end of the world under its belt too. He shouldn't have been surprised.

Currently, it was in the possession of his parents, after his older sister had sent it back to them for safekeeping. Nick greeted his father and stepmother with jovial hugs and kisses, Ellis and Keith following after. They sat down in the meager living room, conversing about the future with Nick's mom. His dad entered, grinning, a small, black, wooden box in hand. He gave it to Nick, who held it like the holy grail. Keith and Ellis came up behind him, anxious to see. Nick set the box down before flipping up the golden clasps and pulling the lid back.

Resting on the red silk lining the box was a long hairpin, with a textured white-silver body. The head was a large opal, surrounded by small pink hibiscus flowers made of quartz with tiny silver centers. Beads, both white and pale pink hung along metal branches, alongside two pearls, attached to thin metal wires to keep them on. Everything was pulled together by leafs, made of metal and glass, encasing and backing the gems.

Ellis whistled, "Ho-lee shit."

"You can say that again," Keith murmured.

"That thing's probably worth our house 12 times over," Ellis said.

"It probably was in the old economy," dad laughed, "good to know it's worthless now!" Keith raised a brow at the man as Nick and mom snickered. Dad shrugged, "What? That just means no one will steal it!"

Keith shook his head, turning back to the item, "So, that's a hairpin, right?"

"Yeah, technically, but we call them binyeos," Nick hummed.

"How long has it been in the family?" Ellis asked.

"Almost 200 years, it's been around for a while," Nick laughed.

He lifted the binyeo up, letting the sunlight streaming in through the windows catch on the delicate beading and metalwork. The opal glittered in the light, quartz and beads joining the intricate dance with the metalwork and glass. It looked like magic. It was magic.

Nick looked to the side, smiling at Ellis and Keith's awed faces. If they had met before the apocalypse, they would be gaping at the unparalleled riches it held. Awed by the most expensive thing someone in their genetic pool has ever been near in their lives, which was true even for Nick's family. Now, however, they could bask in the magic of not its worth but its beauty.

He set the piece down in its silk crib. Mom was smiling at Keith and Ellis. Her eyes shone with tears, a hand over her heart. Dad came up to her, squeezing her free hand.

"Goddamn," Ellis breathed, "are we gonna keep it?"

"No, it's staying with my parents."

Keith looked at Nick, "Shouldn't we though? So we can match it?"

Nick shook his head, "Nah, you're wearing red, white, and grey, you'll look fine."

"Who says you're color-coordinating, Fancypants?"

Nick laughed, socking Keith in the arm, "Shut up, you're the one who insisted on the skirt."

"It's a kilt."

"What's the difference?" Eilis laughed.

Nick snorted, Keith rolled his eyes, smiling. Dad took the box back as Nick told mom they'd stay for dinner another time. They waved goodbye and headed back home.