Niragi's First Game

A/N: How I imagine Niragi's first game to be, and why he turned out the way he is now. By no means do I condone his behaviour however, this is just me wanting to write something.

---

Tugging on his hand, you had to stop.

It had been thirty minutes since the game started, and already six people had died. Right in front of you, they were impaled, crushed, and hung. They really died. The thought of it happening to you or him was making you sick, and eventually you emptied your stomach contents.

"Come on, we have to go! We need to get out of this maze."

"I can't..." you cried. "I really can't...I can't do this anymore, Niragi..."

"Hey, look," Niragi said, kneeling beside you and held your face in his hands so that you were looking in his eyes. "I don't know what's going on either, but this is real. We will die if we don't move. We have to go, and we will survive this together. Okay?"

He held his hand out, waiting for you to take it again.

How did it come to this?

Earlier that day, both you and Niragi woke up in this desolate city. It was an exact replica of Tokyo, but there was nobody else in sight. Vegetation had overgrown in the city, a thick layer of dust covering almost everything. And then night came.

Hours went by without a sign of life anywhere besides the two of you, but when the sun set, several places over Tokyo lit up as if to invite you over. You came to a school where there were others waiting though before either of you could ask anything, the 'game' started.

Trapped in a maze, you had to find your way out before the time limit. Hidden within the maze, however, were lethal traps. One wrong turn and you could be facing death right on his doorstep. And you had seen with your own eyes what happened to the other players.

What you did not understand, however, was why.

Why did you have to play this game?

Why did people have to die?

Just the thought of it again was enough to make you throw up once more.

Taking your hand in his, Niragi pulled you onto your feet and continued on with the maze. Everyone else had been running around like headless chicken, but not Niragi. He had been navigating through the maze and somehow able to avoid the deadly traps. If it were not for Niragi, you would have met the same fate as all the others.

If he were to be honest, the only thing on his mind was getting you through this safely. He had no answers, though he had quite a few questions. But those would have to wait as there was something else more important at hand.

Seeing the exit just ahead, Niragi felt relieved and excited at the same time. You were finally getting out of there.

Though, just as he was taking another step, you suddenly stopped. Turning around to see what was wrong, his eyes widened at the sight. Your foot was caught in a trap, and there was no way of getting you out without tools or severing the foot.

"Go," you said, pulling your hand away from his. "Just go, Niragi."

"I'm not leaving you," he said, crouching down and tried to pry the trap open with his bare hands. "I'm not leaving you!"

"Niragi! Just go! There's no point in both of us dying!"

How could he leave you?

You had always been there for him, the loser. When everyone turned their backs on him, you were the only person who reached out. It was cliché to say so, but you were his light in the darkness. He was not about to abandon you after all you had done for him.

Lifting his chin so he would look you in the eyes, you could see that Niragi was crying. He was desperate to get you out, but you know that his attempt would be futile. This was the end of the road for you.

"Niragi...I love you."

Pushing him out of the way, you closed your eyes as a giant iron ball dropped from above and crushed you.

Blood splattered on Niragi, and he stood frozen on the spot, staring at the iron ball. What was the point of this game? What was the point of pushing on without you by his side? What was the point of living if he was to be alone again?