Chapter 2

When school ended, Kenny and his sister went home. He had some homework to do over the weekend, but that had to wait. He called another team meeting with the guys to catch Professor Chaos.

Of course, they have been trying to find out who he was for ages. But the guy was clever. They had a lot of suspects on their lists, but no one ever really seemed to fit. When the boys first started playing superheroes, it was all fun and games, but it developed over the years and got more serious.

They fought Professor Chaos a few times, but they never caught him. It has been over a year since they had their last fight, and it was quickly over, so there was not a chance to catch him. But now, Kenny had enough of his little games. It was now or never.

After a few hours, his parents called for dinner. Kenny was surprised, it has been a while since they cared enough about their children to make them food. Kenny got up from his desk where he spent his time reading comics and went downstairs.

Karen was already sitting at the table next to their dad and smiled at him. Kenny made a confused face but sat down across from her without saying a word. His mom came in and put their dinner on the table. It was obviously canned food, but it was warm and looked not as bad as other times.

"I hope you are hungry" His mom said and sat down as well.

"Of course we are, it has been a while since you got us something to eat the last time" Kenny replied cocky and looked up into his mother's eyes. For a moment, he saw a spark of sadness.

Then his fathers fist hit him in the face.

"Don't be so disrespectful!" he yelled.

Kenny pressed his hand against his nose and felt warm blood running over his fingers. He stood up so fast that his chair tipped over and he got a little bit dizzy.

His face was red of anger while he stared his father in the eyes, who also got up from his chair. Kenny inhaled sharply and took a step forwards, ready to punch the shit out of him.

"Please don't!" It was Karen's voice that pulled him back. She looked at him terrified and with tears in her eyes. Kenny was torn between beating up his alcoholic father or protecting his sister of seeing that.

He chose the second option.

"Come on Karen." He said, trying to calm himself down while still looking at his dad.

"We're going to Kyle. Pack your stuff we're staying overnight."

At first, Karen did not move because she was clearly overwhelmed with the situation. Then she slowly got up and went up the stairs. Kenny followed her and went into his room. He grabbed his backpack, stuffed his Mysterion costume in it and some extra clothes.

After packing his phone and a charger, he went into his sister's room. She sat on the floor with the back turning to him. He could hear that she was crying.

"I am sorry for what just happened." He finally said. She shrugged her shoulders.

"I guess it's not your fault."

"Yeah, but I should've known better. I mean it wasn't the first time." He said while leaning against the door frame. "But as long as he doesn't do anything to you, I can live with it."

She stood up, shouldered her backpack and turned around. She looked at him and handed him a pack of tissues. "Your nose is still bleeding".

Kenny grabbed them and took one, twirled it and pushed it up in his nose. Then they went downstairs. He softly pushed Karen to the door to get out of this house as soon as possible.