Part 11 ~ Unusual Strength

Millicent POV

My tears mixed with the cold water. I struggled against it, but to no avail. I gave up, letting the water push me further into the cave. I didn't stop the waves from crashing over my head, slipping me under the water. I would die here, drowned with no one ever knowing I existed.

I felt something bump into me. I turned and grabbed it, realizing it was much bigger than I thought it was. My eyes widened as I realized it was an unconscious Elliot.

I brought him into this... I'm the reason he's here, drowning and unconscious.

A sudden determination to get him out alive blazed in me, and I swam up to get one last gulp of air before the cave filled up entirely with water. I dived back under, feeling the wall with my hands. It wasn't a wall so much as a blockade of small boulders. I pushed against one of the boulders, and at first it didn't budge. But after a few pushes, it moved, and eventually rolled away. My lungs burned, but I didn't give up. A few more boulders later, and the water was rushing out of the cave. I blindly grabbed Elliot, holding him close. The water took us out of the opening I had created, dropping us in a river. With my last remaining strength, I pulled us both to the surface. I gasped for air, throwing my head back. Never had I felt more grateful for air than in that moment. A few moments later, I started making my way towards one of the riverbanks.

I climbed onto the grass, pulling Elliot with me. I quickly laid him down, starting to panic. He wasn't breathing, and he felt so cold.

"No no no no no," I rushed, anxiously feeling him for any sign of life. My expression changed into one of horror. He couldn't be dead, he just couldn't. It was too surreal. Tears sprang into my eyes, threatening to spill.

Sean came over and started jumping on Elliot's chest. I realized what he was trying to do, and I pushed him aside, climbing on top of Elliot. I placed my hands on his chest, then pushed down. Sickening pops sounded, and I winced, afraid I had broken something. I glanced at Sean, and he gestured at me to keep going. I hardened my gaze, determined to make him wake up. I pushed down again, then again and again.

I prepared to push down once more, when Sean stopped me. He pointed at Elliot's face, and I turned red. Not hesitating, I held his nose and leaned in, capturing his mouth in mine. I squeezed my eyes shut, blowing into his mouth. I blew three times before pulling away. I started pushing on his chest again, then repeated blowing.

After about a minute, I leaned down to blow again. With our mouths connected, I blew. I closed my eyes, a tear falling down onto his cheek. I was exhausted, and felt like I would drop unconscious any second. I stopped blowing, but kept our mouths together. I was too exhausted to pull away. A few moments passed, and I finally pulled away, tears streaming down my face. I shuddered, clutching my arms. Sean nuzzled me as I broke down and cried. He was dead, and it was my fault.

I curled up on the grass, sobs wracking my body. I was cold, wet, tired, and lost. How had things gone so wrong? Maybe I should just go back to the tower, back where everything is the same and nothing out of the ordinary happens. I didn't want to keep going anymore, not if Elliot was gone.

My sobs were reduced to hiccups and sniffles. Then everything was silent. Sean flopped on my shoulder, and I reached a hand up to brush him off.

"Go away, Sean," I muttered bitterly, narrowing my eyes. My fingers touched something that didn't quite feel like Sean's scaley skin. My eyes widened as I realized what I was holding.

Whirling around, I was met with Elliot's caramel-colored eyes and warm smile. My jaw dropped instinctively, and my mind tried to comprehend what was happening. Elliot was alive?! How?

He pulled me into a hug, and I cautiously returned it. My tongue finally decided to work, and the questions came spilling out of my mouth.

He didn't answer a single one, probably because he didn't know the answers either. He pulled me up, then picked up Sean and placed him in my hands.

"Come on, it's getting late, we should set up camp."

A/N: Once again, I apologize for taking so long to post this. I've been writing... other things (cough cough Jelra hehe)