Chapter 8

For once, the Cloning Wing appeared to be up and active. The scientists from the prior event with Gosencrantz appeared to be buckling down on any non-completed experiments, constantly bickering amongst themselves on how to improve the experiment and the fastest way to accomplish them. It was rather surprising, given the past circumstances. 

While they worked, you remained with Gosencrantz and assisted him in designing a brand new safe room for the Cloning Wing. While you were implementing the redstone signal for the double iron doors, Gosencrantz was going over the plans for the interior designs within the spacious panic room. 

"It should allow the scientists to have a safe place to hide," he went on, "and allow them to have communications to Xephos all the while. The last one we had was lacking the communications." 

"So, they just had to wait until Xephos came to get them?" You asked as you rubbed some more of the red dust on the pure, white floor. Though it stuck to your hands in a messy manner, redstone was rather fun to work with. Upon connecting the streak of dust to another, it activated. One of the iron doors swung open, causing Gosencrantz to look up from the other side of the room. 

"Er- yeah. Xephos had to come unlock the door, and that's quite against safety protocol. If they were just left here, you can imagine how panicked everyone was during the last escape." 

"The last es-"

"Nicely done with that door, though," Gosencrantz interrupted before you could speak. "Do you think you can do the same with the other door?" 

"Well," you muttered under your breath, "I suppose I can, but I don't want it interfering with this redstone signal. How should I go about it?" 

His eyes went blank as he pondered. He stood there, eyeing the signal for a moment or two before scanning the iron door. You thought you were going to be there a while, but eventually, Gosencrantz made his way over to where you were and crouched down to mimic your position. "I suppose," he began, fiddling with some leftover redstone, "we may need some construction workers to tear up the floor in here, so the signal will not be as visible. We could place the signal underground, and with that, it should run easier compared to our older one." 

"That sounds pretty good," you commented, "yet, it sounds like it will take longer than a day to complete. Xephos said I only got a break today from Lalnable. Afterwards-"

"You'll have to head back, I know," he spoke softly. 

"Do you think you can get the others working? It appears they are more focused now," you added, trying to lighten the mood, for Gosencrantz's face was creased with frustration. 

"It appears that way, yes," he agreed, "but I know that is only temporary. They'll be slacking off before you know it." 

You felt a small flicker of doubt. After the way Gosencrantz dealt with them, getting them back to work would be an easy task. "Just threaten them again, if you need to, or," you began, "you could always threaten them with Lalnable." 

"Please, do not joke about that," he muttered in response. He turned to you, yet his face revealed no emotion. 

"I-I'm sorry," you stuttered as, what felt like a heat wave of embarassment, encase you to your very core. "I-I should have known better. I didn't mean it, honestly." 

"It's fine," he muttered, "I know I'm being to harsh about...him," he added with  nod of his head as if Lalnable was in the same room, "but I assure you, it is in good taste. Not very many people in this sector of Yoglabs take any news of Lalnable lightly. Unless the news were about him being executed, then I believe they'd be happy."