Chapter 6: Rosanna

Polaris had given me an earful after Cyris and Farryn left the apartment.

"What were you thinking?!" he asked me. "Inviting him and his familiar to stay here!"

"It was the most practical solution, Polaris," I reasoned. "He's asking me to help him start a war. The least we can do is stay close to each other and watch each other's backs."

"How do you know you can trust him?" Polaris demanded.

"He hasn't harmed me. He saved my life. When you think about it, he hasn't given me a reason not to trust him," I replied.

"He tried to attack you in the woods!" Polaris protested.

I shook my head.

"No, he didn't. He never actually used his magic," I reminded Polaris. "He just stood there, threatening to use it if I forced him to. And the only reason he was doing that was because I shot at his familiar. In a way, he was defending his friend, just like I was defending you."

Polaris opened his mouth to say something, but then closed it. He knew I was right.

"If he hurts you, I will kill him," Polaris told me, sounding like a true big brother.

"I know," I assured him. "I'd expect nothing less."

"You know I'm a bit surprised you decided to let him stay here," Polaris told me.

"Why?" I asked.

"You're not exactly one to let people get close to you," he admitted. I sighed. Polaris was right. I was closed off, but only because I had to be. If I didn't close myself off with such high walls, I risked freezing the world and people around me.

"I know, but I guess I just remembered what my Mom used to say," I replied, swallowing hard. "She told me to always keep those that were on my side close. So that's what I'm doing. As far as I'm concerned, Cyris Castellan is on my side."

Polaris withdrew and sighed deeply. "Well, it seems you've made up your mind, Rose."

I smiled at him lovingly and he kissed the top of my forehead.

"Call me if you need me," Polaris said, and disappeared in a swirl of snow.

I laid down in bed and sighed. Polaris was just trying to protect me. That was his job. I understood that he didn't trust Cyris and Farryn, but Cyris and I had an agreement now, so the four of us were going to have to get along.

It wasn't until a few days later that I saw Cyris again

It wasn't until a few days later that I saw Cyris again. He came into the apartment and dropped his backpack near the door.

"Hey," I greeted him. I gestured to the couch. "I know it's not much, but at least it's comfortable. There's soup on the stove for dinner, if you want any."

"Are you sure about this?" Cyris asked.

"I am," I assured him. "You're going to be training me to control my powers and we're both basically on the verge of starting a war. So this makes sense to me. That is... if it's okay with you still?"