Chapter 58: Rosanna

Piarari Key
Vasia (vah-sia): Snowflake

Piarari KeyVasia (vah-sia): Snowflake

I was floating. There was a light up ahead and then a woman appeared in front of me. I recognized her, that familiar face, that warm smile...

"Mom?!" I gasped. My adoptive mother was here, but why?

"Rose... sweetie," she greeted me.

"What... What is this place?" I asked.

"This is the edge of the veil. Where souls go before they pass on."

"So I'm... I'm..."

"Yes, my sweet little Rosanna," another voice stated. Another woman appeared, she was incredibly beautiful, and her long platinum blonde hair was a perfect replica of mine. Ilaria Aster.

"Mother..." I whispered. She touched my cheek and tears fell from my eyes.

"I didn't want to leave you that day, Rosanna, but I knew that I had to because it was the only way to keep you safe," Ilaria told me. "And now look at you... you discovered your true heritage, found your brother, and fell in love...with a Prince no less."

A Prince... Cyris... My heart sank as I thought of him and I touched my stomach in fear. Our love...all those moments we spent together... I wondered if he'd be okay. And our baby... Gods... I'd been so stupid... I'd put our baby in harm's way by walking into battle next to him and now he lost us both! He didn't even know it because of what I'd done...!

"I need to go back to him," I panicked. I wasn't willing to leave him. I needed him. I needed to be with him. I wanted to be with him...to build a life with him.

"I'm sorry Rosanna," Ilaria told me, "But there's no way back. No soul has ever gone back from the edge of the veil before..."

So there was no way back?! I didn't have a choice then—I'd have to leave Cyris. Tears spilled from my eyes. I didn't want to go... As that thought started to sink in, a magic force surrounded me, and I began to vanish.

"What's happening?" I asked.

"I'm not sure," Ilaria replied. "I think... I think you're being sent back."

"I thought you said there was no way back!"

"There isn't, but maybe the universe thinks you aren't done yet...and the universe trumps all." She smiled at me. "Your father, and I are so proud of the woman you've become, my sweet little Rosanna. We'll always be watching over you. We love you so much."

She kissed my forehead and my adoptive mother turned to me.

"Your dad and I don't blame you for what happened, Rose, and it's time you stopped blaming yourself," she told me. "I know that's easier said than done, but I want you to try. For us and for yourself," she told me.

"I will," I promised. "I love you. Both of you."

My adoptive mother kissed my forehead too, and then I completely vanished into the darkness.