Imminent Threat

Trace

I wake to the feel of Kat, spooned behind me, stroking my abs and kissing the cap of my shoulder.

"I'm sorry about last night," she whispers. "Can we try again?"

I twist so that I'm on my back, staring up into her amber eyes. Even though I know she's not feeling herself, the golden flecks in them are so intricately woven, her eyes can't not shine. Her eyes are forever blessed with that witchy mischevious look I've known so well all her life.

I remember snickering at her devilry when she was just three or four, while at Ashlynn's birthday party down at our neighborhood play area. I was the only person that noticed Kat was taking all the princess rings off Ashlynn's birthday cupcakes and putting them on her fingers while everyone else was doing the dumb birthday craft. So I took all the super hero rings off the "boy" cupcakes and told Kat we should bury the treasure in the sandbox, but really I didn't give a fuck about cheap plastic toys at eight years old. I just did it to help Kat hide her crime. When it came time to serve the cupcakes, her mother frowned at them, gave Kat a suspicious look, then glowered at me, but served them without comment because if Ashlynn didn't notice they were missing party favors, Ellen wasn't going to clue her in.

That was the very first time Kat and I ever got away with anything together. It was the start of a beautiful life of hijinx.

Same eyes then as now. Except then they were happy and now they are sad. I brush a thumb across the bottom fringe of her lashes. "You have nothing to be sorry for. But I don't make the same mistake twice. So...this time...you first..."

I roll her down on the bed and spend a long, sweet time, kissing and touching her in the softest ways I possibly can. Her body is responding in all the familiar ways, except her breathing. There's no gasping, hitching, or sighing. Just like last night in the pool, I can tell she's not with me in this.

But she asked for sex, so I'm hoping she's trying to find her way to me. I'm never going to quit on her, so I keep gently trying to turn her on. Eventually I can feel a relaxing in her that goes far beyond her muscles, and that's when I take my kisses between her legs.

Normally this a short-cut to ecstasy for Kat, but not this time. Still, I'm happy to pleasure her no matter how long it takes, and eventually she comes with a brief but intense shudder. It's like her body finally overrode her brain, somehow. It's only a technical win, but I'll take it, considering last night's fail. I plan to roll to the side and cuddle her, but she grabs my biceps, stopping me.

"I want you. Inside me," she says. She sees the doubt on my face, so she pulls my face to hers, kissing me hard.

I lighten up the kiss and give her what she's asking for. I make love to her as slowly as I possibly can, face to face, gaze to gaze, my forearms cradling her head. I'm searching for her, behind those deceptively spark-filled eyes. She's in there, but she's hiding from me. Tears well up to push back my intense probing.

I still all motion, taking her head in my hands, pressing our foreheads together.

"I'm here, baby. I'm right here with you in this, no matter what this is. I love you, and I'm not going anywhere."

She closes her eyes, nodding, kissing, her hips bucking mine, shutting me out of her soul but encouraging me with her body at the same time.

I don't know what to do here. I've never not known what to do, when it came to Kat, in bed. I stay still inside her, wiping and kissing her tears with my thumbs.

"Don't cry. We can stop..."

"Trace, please..." she whispers hoarsely, wrapping her legs around me tightly and moving me deeper inside her.