Chapter 3.

I can't say I was surprised to find they'd moved the Basics to Magik classroom. From what I could remember of last year, the ceiling leaked, and it somehow managed to be both too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer.

I was surprised that the new room was chosen to be the tower at the end of the school though. As far as I'd ever heard, it was reserved for AP Magik classes, but it clearly wasn't anymore if they were letting me walk through the door.

The first thing I noticed as I entered the rounded, stone room was the temperature drop. I shivered at the damp air, glancing up at the tall ceiling to find the culprit to be a single, drafty skylight. They really didn't try too hard on the improvement, did they?

With a shake of my head, I went to take a seat, when I noticed there were no desks. Instead, a ring of colored pillows ran around the circular floor in a pattern, with a row of lanterns a few feet above that. In the center stood a crumpled man in a long, dark green robe, with a grey beard as long as a fake wizard's from fairy tales. I tried not to snicker at the sight of him. What is this? The 1600s?

"Sit down according to your element," he murmured, making a sweeping motion to the pillows. His tone matched the soft chill of the room, where he didn't need to be loud to get his point across.

I nodded at him before plopping onto a plush green one. Well, new room or no, some things don't change. Now it was just a pillow instead of a green Earth sticker on my desk. Luckily for me, they were far from the yellow Air seats, because as I watched, the girl in my science class walked in, practically skipping in excitement as her wide, copper eyes took in the whole of the room. I did not need to sit next to her twice in one day.

"Hey! This seat taken?"

I jumped at the volume, whipping my head around. Not that I was a nervous wreck or anything, but I hated sudden noises... to which my mom had always replied that I was a sudden noise.

Taking a quick breath, I could see it was the same kid who couldn't find his math class, except now he wanted to sit on the red pillow next to me.

"Does it look taken?" I replied, my hands falling into a shrug. I wasn't rude about it, but I didn't see the appeal in that particular seat as opposed to the several other available red ones around the room. Well at least he asked, unlike the other girl.

"I 'spose not." He laughed and plopped his backpack down before folding his arms behind his head.

"...You an Aires?" I asked casually, gesturing to his cushion color. If this class was going to be anything like my last attempt at the basics, I was going to be forced to do group work with 'like-minded' signs. If I had to be partnered with him, it was better to know now.

"Nah, Leo."

"Cool." I nodded at him, not that his eyes were open to see it as he lounged on the stone wall. It took me a second to do the math of how far off that was from me being a Taurus. Three off. That's a no then.

"If that is everyone, then we shall begin," the teacher spoke, his voice like creeping tree roots as the words spread across the room. "My name is Mr. Dekoran, although simply Dekoran is fine. For those who haven't heard, the reason this class will be run in my office is because, due to the last teacher quitting, I now teach all Magik tracks, as opposed to honors and above."

Then his green eyes closed with a sigh. "Given that students in the past have attempted to best me at my own subject, I will state this once, and only once: Insolent behavior is not tolerated in my classroom. I do not suggest that you try it. That being said, there is a reason I am consulted on all things magik. I have been doing this for sixty years now, and am more than aware of all that can go right, and more importantly, what can go wrong. If you need help, ask."