Chapter 30.

No matter what angle I flipped the situation in my head, what way I looked at it-- it being the can of worms I'd decided to open and dive into with my nose plugged-- it seemed like there was only one answer. I just didn't like it.

I can't make any other types of potions without the spellbook, and Dekoran's definitely going to use those defense ones I made, just for defending a different idea. I was furious with myself for letting him convince me to make exactly whatever the group told him they needed, every time. How had I been so stupid? So... Oblivious? Now both the book and the potions were considered school property at this point, and I hated to think of the last time I'd broken in. I don't want to be a repeat offender. 

I glanced at my phone, frown pulling at my face as I laid back on my bed. It was already ten o' clock. I'd been thinking about it for hours, barely able to pay attension at work as the same thought continued to circle in my mind. I have to do something. The cult could take my stuff at any time, and I'd be waiting like a sitting duck, just sleeping here with the rest of my family while the world burned. It felt wrong.

There's no other choice. Holding my phone up over my face, I texted Dustin and Blyke about what I needed to do, with as many apologies as I could fit into a single message. There was no way I was going to be able to do it on my own. It had been hard enough reaching the window during the first felony. The second? Not to mention there's no way I'm making it there in any reasonable amount of time on my bike. I just hated asking for help.

A small bing sounded as a notification popped up on my screen. It's no problem. I just can't believe your teacher is a part of that group. It makes sense to do what we can before anything else happens if we can prevent it, Dustin texted back.

Yeah so long as I get a ride I can help, came Blyke's response right after. If stopping this group means a zero percent chance of getting beaten up by a cultist on one of your strength enhancers again then I'm all for it. Also, did you ask Liesel too or just us?

Just you two, I responded back. Why?

You saw her during the riot. She can lift people into the air like it's no big deal. That was our biggest issue last time, getting into that window.

I don't even have her number. Besides, it felt like I was bothering enough people.

Oh, I have it. And with that, Dustin was sending me her contact information. Just get your stuff together and head over to my house. We'll leave when you get here.

I let him know I'd be there soon, only a three minute walk or so, before clicking off the phone. My backpack zipper screamed in protest as I pulled the two halves of the pocket apart with my hands, sticking the launcher and box of bottles in as best as I could. The barrel still stuck out slightly as I tugged the zipper closed as best I could around it but there was nothing I could do about it. Feels like that's becoming the theme of my life. Huh.

There was something almost therapeutic about staring up into the night sky while the world existed silently around me. The stars shone down, and even with the several street lights I could make them out in the dark. Though it took barely any time at all until I turned onto Dustin's rounded street, it calmed my nerves a bit, steeling me for what I was going to do.

I had just finished texting that I was there, when a light came on and the front door opened to reveal Dustin standing in a sweatshirt and pajama pants, keys in hand.

I froze, hand and finger raised in question as I blinked. "Why are you in pajamas?"

"Because," he answered. "I was already dressed for bed when you texted me, and I'm comfortable. Besides, no one else is going to be there to see me."