Chapter 35.

As much as my mother had the power to, I'd never been healed before. Something about me having me feel the pain so I could learn not to do whatever stupid thing I did again. And yet– here I was– still doing stupid things.

So when I felt a cool, lemon meringue-flavored sensation creeping along up my arms, my brain getting a sense of mental clarity that it didn't have just moments ago, shock flit through me before logic. I rolled onto my back, screaming as my muscles continued to burn.

"Don't move yet," Liesel whispered gently as she held her hand over me, performing her specialty at rapid speed. Despite her darker skin tone, I could see a queasiness to her as the warm, pinker notes drained out of her face.

... how much magik has she used already? My mind sleepily trailed back to Science class, on how it was all just energy. Living energy. I stiffened. How much does she have left?

Everything still hurt, but I felt good enough to sit up, and I didn't want her to have to overexert herself even more. "Does it hurt you to do that?" I asked. "Just stop."

She took a deep breath, sitting next to me. "Using my specialty isn't this bad normally, but I've probably used more magik today than any other time in my life."

I took a look around the room, trying to quickly skim over Dekoran's body, but my eyes were drawn back at the sight of his robes being stained into a rich brown from drying blood. Across the room, Blyke was sitting up, conscious now, but Dustin and Gwen were still collapsed. I winced.

"I'll get to them in a second," Liesel promised, her voice shaky as she laughed. "Don't worry. On my Witch's Honor."

I closed my eyes for a second, suddenly reminded of when I first met her. She'd said something similar then too.

I sighed, putting a hand on my slowly clearing head. I'd found her so annoying then, and the only thing I'd wanted was to keep my distance from her. But here she is, risking her life to heal me before anyone else. Why? I couldn't put it together right now, but I was going to have to thank her later... and apologize. Whichever came first.

But for now, I chuckled. "Well, you are pretty honorable, after all. I trust you."

Shakily pushing myself onto my feet, I took a few steps towards the politicians, still watching from the corner in horror. A few of them shook as I approached, the president's eyes growing wide, but I tried to seem as non-threatening as possible, exhausted as I was. "Hey... are you all o-"

A scream cut me off.

Liesel?

By the time I turned around, Elliot had already taken hold of her, the last two spirits in his arsenal aiming sharpened limbs at her. "Nobody move!"

I froze, meeting his wild gaze. "What do you want?" My voice came out calmer than I felt. Whatever it was, I wasn't about to give it to him, but at the same point, I couldn't have Liesel get stabbed in the face.

"The same thing you're supposed to want. Don't you see how close we are? There's the government in the palm of our hands, and you're worried if they're okay?" He shook his blond hair in disbelief. "Don't you want equality?"

"This isn't equality. It's fear. That's not the same thing!" I shouted back at him. "I just wanted a normal life. Always have, and the second everyone thought I was an Ord, you ghosted me for an entire Summer!"

Anger crept through my veins, giving me a second wind as my hands clenched into fists. I'd spent the entire time trying to rebuild our friendship as he dragged me back to his house time and time again to make potions. To help him with 'school projects''. It didn't matter where I went, or who I spent my time with. I had been used.