Chapter 20: Away

-edited and rewritten as of 5/29/15-

Chapter 20: Away

Parker

When your sort-of-but-never-really-was-ex-girlfriend/best-friend who used to be really mad at you for sharing the same earth suddenly smiles at you after you wake up in a sketchy nurse's office, (which you know is not the last place you were conscious), you have the right to be kind of freaked out.

In fact, I was confused out of my mind, scared to my next life, and pissed to the brink of hulk-mode. What the hell was going on?

"Get away from me." I found my voice, as I sat up and moved myself to the edge of the bed opposite from her. What was she doing here?

She actually looked hurt, her chin ducked and her bottom lip formed a small pout, her hands folded in her lap. A burst of empathy shot through my body, but I quickly rejected the emotion. She hurt you too.

The old nurse walked over to my bedside and touched the back of her cool hand to my forehead. Her lips pursed and her wise eyes saw straight through me over her round rimmed glasses. "Your fever seems to have lowered, but you're obviously still sick. I'm sending you home early. Who should I call to come and get you?"

I didn't really have anyone here, except for my aunt, and I wasn't going to ask her to pick me up while she was busy running the diner. "That's okay, ma'am. I can drive myself, I'll be just fine." I tried to smile at the end, but I'm not sure that it was entirely convincing.

She didn't agree with me. "No, I am not allowed to let students, even seniors, drive themselves home, and I am not making any exceptions when it comes to a boy that forgets to hydrate himself properly."

I felt my forehead wrinkle and my eyebrows furrow. "What are you talking about? Why am I here?"

Melanie intercepted her at this point. "You are dehydrated, Parker. Hence, the passing out, and the high fever, which are common symptoms. You should drink some water."

Melanie handed me the unopened water bottle on the table next to her and quickly twisted the cap. She motioned for me to move a bit closer to her, and I obediently did, just realizing then how parched I was. She kept her gaze studiously on me as I took the bottle from her and had a few large gulps, consuming the water generously. It felt like I had travelled through the desert.

I slowly brought the bottle back down from my mouth and handed it to Melanie. I could feel her eyes burning into me. When I gave in and looked at her, her eyes were shining and she was fixing me with a smile that made my head spin.

What is she doing? Why is she smiling at me?

I started to feel my lips turn up into a smile just looking at her, I missed my smiley Mel. It had been so long since-

"Mrs. O? I can drive him."

Melanie? Drive me? No thanks. "It's really fine Mrs. O. I'm perfectly fine. I can drive myself. I promise no one will know that you let me do it."