Chapter 8: The Rain

Chapter 8: The Rain

Parker

I hate her.

I hate her.

I hate her.

I unconciously kicked the locker I was walking passed. I didn't need to be reminded of them right now.

One thing I hated, even more than Melanie, was detention. It was such a waste of my time and I am still stuck with it because some teacher saw me threatening that dumb ass Benjamin. If only I could have done him a little worse...

On this horrible Wednesday afternoon, I was finally getting out of the hellhole and pushed the door open, hearing something hit against the door I just opened, followed by an angry, "Ow," then a barely audible, "Crap."

A rush of sympathy ran through my body, knowing I just hurt someone that didn't deserve it. Who would be here at this time anyway? It was past five and most people would be gone from here the second they could. I mean, I would.

I stepped out of the doorway and over to the figure that had their head bent over with their hand rubbing the back of it gently, where they sat at the front steps. They had their hood on, but by the "Ow" they let out and their smaller frame, I was pretty sure it was a girl, which made me feel that much worse.

Mom always did say that I needed to control my anger...

The wave of sadness hit me, but I brushed it off hastily as I went down two steps to where she was sitting and took a seat next to her, not really sure what else to do.

Her hood was covering most of her face, I don't even know why she would be wearing one since it wasn't raining. I went with a safer approach, because I had to at least make sure she was okay, my mom taught me decency.

I tentatively touched one hand to her shoulder, feeling the soft, slightly frayed black material against my fingers. I felt a slight adrenaline rush pumping through my veins all of a sudden, and the words that tumbled out of my mouth made me sound like a tripped up middle schooler.

"Umm...are you ok? I didn't mean to hurt you at all. It really wasn't on purpose, I swear, I don't usually treat girls like that." I stopped my stupid mumbling when I heard a snort come from the girl.

I turned my head towards her, surprised. She was pointedly looking in the opposite direction of me.

I noticed her sweatshirt had the Panthers on it, my favorite football team back home. My dad and I used to watch football like maniacs, even go to the pre-season games. The anguish I felt remembering those memories, almost overtook me, but I let it slide away from my mind as my eyes travelled back to the girl.

"You're a Panthers fan too?" I ask.

She doesn't answer me, still looking out towards the football fields.

"I didn't think there would be any up here, considering its New York," I try to get at least something out of her, getting a bit frustrated with her lack of response.

Her sweatshirt actually resembled my favorite sweatshirt I ever had, it was black too, and it had Cam Newton's signature on the right sleeve. I lost that sweatshirt a few summers ago; I don't remember whatever happened to it.

I decided to just go for the direct approach. "Look, I'm sorry I hit your head and made you unable to speak, but I can try to promise to not do it again." I heard another snort come from under the hood, and I was more than exasperated with this girl.

I reached my hand out fast, pulling the hood down hard. I was met with red hair flying every which way, and as her head whipped around, two blue eyes that glared at me through slits.